friday...er.. i meen today

Local weather resources and topics.
charlie
Old School
Old School
friday...er.. i meen today

Post by charlie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:35 am

.VETERANS DAY...SW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT...BECOMING W 15 TO 25 KT DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS.
Last edited by charlie on Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charlie

Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:43 am

Sorry I can't wait till Friday and Friday is not good for me. So ENE at Alameda is not really ENE??? I may have to excuse from work if kitable.

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:47 pm

hana you talking about today ?
it was up ...now its not?

and ya it reads ene but it more s.e.!
charlie

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:54 pm

Charlie,
Your 15-25 W is happening RIGHT NOW. Someone go get some for me.

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:37 pm

ollies out at berkely
iam gonna go look at alameda
charlie

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:03 pm

i got skunked. with lighting.
o-well i payed dues.
charlie

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:23 pm

Pablito wrote:Charlie,
Your 15-25 W is happening RIGHT NOW. Someone go get some for me.
Paul

Did the wind reach Davis. I got 1.5 hours, way over powered on the 2m today in Fairfield. It was scary windy. Who could have thought that you could get lofted on a 2m?
Dewey

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:40 pm

I went to my local haunt (Hamilton Field), but the damn con(de)struction dudes were out in force, and I think they hired some rent-a-pigs to guard that part of the field.

On my way out I see some guys lugging mountain boards down the street with what looked like kites in packs. Parked, and went after them, found them on the field near the Coast Guard station. Figured I'd go with them, can't get singled out, and had met some buggy guys over there before and they hadn't got in any trouble.

I was hauling on my 2-3m trainer, but the wind was gusty, and strip littered with gravel. I kept replaying in my mind that horrible sound that is made when a rock gets stuck under the trucks.

One of the guys was teaching his friend with a 4.5m fixed 2 line foil, with harness loop and everything. I offered to let them use mine, but they didn't accept. They ended up giving up, their kite kept stalling in the middle of the window and then catching a puff and giving them the wrong kind of ride...

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:48 pm

How is the terrain on Hamilton field? Is it hard asphalt? Can you mountain board there comfortably?

E

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:35 pm

For the most part it is concrete. The airfield has been out of comission for awhile (check out google maps, they even put huge mounds of dirt to make it unusable). Condition near the flag was pretty good, small rocks and gravel about, cracks in the pavement. It has gotten worse now, there is some dust that has settled on the sides making it more difficult to skate on.

Further east of the flag, it seems in much worse shape. I haven't explored there much. The area around 38.0590319, -122.503977 is in decent shape, but more debris than near the flag.

I've only used a (ghetto) skateboard, but I think I'd be more comfortable with a mountain board, or something with larger wheels -- except no matter what the pavement is still going to hurt.

I saw a guy out with a foil / landboard once. I haven't explored too much, and stick close to the YMCA/Library parking lot access point, but I wouldn't be surprised if there might be some open fields?

Check 38.059326, -122.512949. They've started filling in some dirt south of the american flag painting. I'll check it out, but maybe after a couple more rains it would smooth out and harden up?

Also, where I normally go (Flag), it is a pretty narrow area, and it has gotten more narrow. Wind usually is more or less in line with the runway. Today it was more SW'sh maybe, and would have been coming over the hangers. The spot I was at today is a little more exposed (still was gusty), and made for some longer runs.