Sliding spreader bar?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
reyrivera
Old School
Old School
Re: Sliding spreader bar?

Post by reyrivera » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:47 pm

ericb wrote:Has anybody used a DIY setup like the pic that reyrivera posted? Does the extra distance from the harness to the control bar negatively affect performance?

Looks like one would have to set it up that way to still be able to punch out.
It does impact your bar throw especially if you are riding a waist harness. I ride this setup with a seat harness, so it raises my bar as if I'm on a waist harness. So, I did not experience loss of bar throw with this setup plus seat harness. I switched to a wichard shackle which is shorter and gives a smoother operation when hooking and unhooking my bar, see pic below:
shackle.jpg
shackle.jpg (14.46KiB)Viewed 5555 times

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:52 pm

Check out this kiteforum thread, will give you an idea on how to setup your harnes:

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2379913

ericb
Joey
Joey

Post by ericb » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks for the info

Sounds like waist-harness users need to find a good way to run a rope slider while keeping the throw long and having a reliable way to punch out.

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:40 am

ericb wrote:Thanks for the input. I'd like to see the pic of your setup if possible.
Here you go. The harness is a Mystic Warrior Len10. I took off the Mystic spreader and replaced it with a standard spreader bar with the loop hacked off. The bar is a Wainman V1. I took off the whole chicken loop and depower system and replaced it with what you see. Instead of the tiny throw on the Wainman bar, I now have 3ft of bar throw - it's really great. The depower line can be hard to reach sometimes, but I use it much less, now. Instead of shortening the front lines to compensate for the extra throw, I opted to lengthen the back lines. I was thinking I would leave the whole setup adjustable, so that I could reduce the amount of throw if I felt like it. So far, I really like it and have no plans to change it. I'm probably going to leave everything as you see, though (with the exception of the release mechanism, as I mentioned before).

Harness with sliding spreader:
sIMG_2351.JPG
sIMG_2351.JPG (472.99KiB)Viewed 5495 times
Shackle and sliding spreader:
sIMG_2352.JPG
sIMG_2352.JPG (573.65KiB)Viewed 5495 times
How I lengthened the back lines:
sIMG_2354.JPG
sIMG_2354.JPG (645.55KiB)Viewed 5495 times

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:59 pm

Dude, the side of the bar you took that picture on is foreshadowing what's going to happen to you: DANGER. This is the setup that people abandoned like 8 years ago. It's one thing to have a sliding spreader. It's a different step to take off your push away chicken loop quick release for a sailing shackle. I'm going pulley sliding spreader w/shorts. Some of what I gained in purchase w/the shorts I'll lose w/the slider. Probably ends up still netting the bar a little closer.

Sure you don't plan on releasing w/all that throw, but what about when you break a bridle and the death spiral catches you off guard? Or you drop your kite in some big whitewater and you're getting held under?

-John

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm aware of the issues with the shackle. Read back a few posts - I mention them. Before I modded my bar, I tested the shackle for release problems by hanging on it and trying the release. It wasn't an issue with mine. So my bigger concern is the shackle not being in a predictable place if I want to release. That's why I also mentioned that I'm making myself a safety system that is in a fixed location on the harness.

demo243
Contributor
Contributor

Post by demo243 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:29 am

Its very simple to keep your stock chicken loop/quick release with these setups... you just need a large enough connection point that your stock CL will easily slip through it. Those who are modifying their bars/quick release systems in here are doing it for other reasons then just the slider set up. Dont let them scare you off - these sliders are GREAT in the waves!

I originally used a metal ring as pictured

Then switched to the largest sail thimble Westmarine had
http://www.westmarine.com/ronstan--stai ... 65_006_526

made the switch to the sail thimble because the wider and shallower angle of the metal on line transition allowed it to move smoother.

I also played around with plastic sleeves to help reduce line wear- this was version 1 - then switched over to more rubberized black fuel line I picked up at the hardware store

I just recently picked up a Ride Engine Harness with Coleman's carbon spreader bar - pretty stoked on the whole setup. Anyway he sends his spreader bars out with a shackle on them.
Used it for a session... but my CL barely fits through it so I just swapped it over to the Sail thimble I had been using... but for those who want the ability to self launch or land using the anchor method, or those who dont want to disengage and engage their CL/Quick Release ever time they "hook" in a snap shackle provides the means to do so... and technically allows for a double safety.

I will try and get some shots of the Engine harness up here soon... and remember K.I.S.S - KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! The simpler your setup, the easier it will be to see how it works/wears- and keep tabs on your slider lines as they will wear either from where the slider slides or wear the sleeve ends or the harness hooks in...

And to make sure its completely clear - I used my stock North Quad Bar's CL/Quick Release

Ill try and remember to get some shots of interface between the two up here as well

Cheers

Xor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Xor » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:33 am

Well, all this added parts like sail thimble with CL and dyneema slack/carbon rod curve adds to the reach and do not provide the single benefit CL where designed for - to hook or unhook.
The ideal solution would be push away quick release without chicken loop attached directly to the sliding point, then if you need to move it away - just add more rope between QR and Sliding point. I was thinking of adapting Cabrinha leash QR, but waiting to see what Greg at Boardriding Maui will come up with his Bar once it released in a month or so.

BTW, good sliding connection would be this new Ronstan shock http://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.a ... No=RF8081R
It is big brother of the small one, but bigger at 12g and Max Working load 500kg (1100 lbs), breaking load 1000 kg (2200 lbs), unfortunately I found big Ronstan shock only in Europe yet, not sure if West Marine can order them.
Good-bye... and hello... as always!
Victor

demo243
Contributor
Contributor

Post by demo243 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:00 am

Yes thats true that many of the original intentions of a CL are lost... for the most part... The only way to be able to unhook and still run a slider would be with Jays system... which is more expensive and complicated then I want... also the conditions are never right for unhooking... so I don't do it...

But there is still one huge advantage to using the stock chicken loop, and that is that you are using the stock release- which has been tested and proven to work- I particularly like the North release for it being so simple and reliable even when full of sand.

And yes for the closest bar setup I guess ideally you would have a QR directly connected to your slider set up... which depending on your bar could be pretty easy to set up. If my North bars werent so damn expensive I would consider it. I think the best option for this would be the Caution bar- theres looks like the CL could easily be replace with some Dyneema- which I know some people are running. I believe you can get that bar from them without the CL.

Although if you keep your slider line short and tight enough - which I think is better as it allows for a smoother and less "notchy" slide there is very minimal length added over a traditional hook.

I also don't require any longer depower throw. With my North bar the depower cleat is moveable - I moved it closer- limiting bar depower throw a hair, but making it much easier to grab if I let it go - also easier to operate the cleat, which I actually use a fair amount of. But in the end if I have my kite depowered with more then 2-3 inches of line through the cleat and I need more depower then I need to be on a smaller kite.

A big Shock Block would be awesome! I tried the smaller one and it was not big enough to slide smooth. But a big one would connect great with a Dyneema shackle - hopefully soon- I eneded up using the sail thimble because it is closest to that shock block style.

PvB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PvB » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:35 pm

Russ Andersson wrote:I've been using the dakine Maniac bar, $70 and it works surprisingly well.

http://www.kite-line.com/2014-dakine-ma ... pping_kite

Anyone else using this bar? Thoughts on this vs the dynabar? Seems like it might be a good compromise in that it holds the hook steady if you are doing a little unhooked riding. If there are downsides as compared to the dynabar, that compromise might not be worth it... Thoughts?

Thanks