Sliding spreader bar?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
robert-g
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sliding spreader bar?

Post by robert-g » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:54 am

Has any one used the sliding spreader bar?
Can you comment on brand, quality, harness compatability?
I've been riding a trapless directional most of the season, I just think it may be better for this type of riding.
Thank you in advance.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Re: Sliding spreader bar?

Post by adamrod » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:15 pm

yes. i have the dynabar from jay whatever...i think they're the only one who make a production version. it should fit with any harness, seems to have held up decently well.

works pretty well, makes toeside a lot easier in a seat harness..

most annoying aspect is that it sucks for jumping, because it slides all over the place, that an it's almost impossible to hook back in after unhooking...

although i might make my own with some rope and a metal clip like i've seen a lot of the coast folk do...
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Post by reyrivera » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:41 pm

I've been riding the dynabar v4 surf style spreader bar (smooth, with no notch) for two seasons now, with large seat harness, twin tip and skim board combination at the coast. I chose the one without a notch because I did not like the feel of the notched version when you are doing a quick turn. The notched version snaps (or clunks) into place as you do your turn, making it a bit annoying for me. The notched version is more stable though for longer tacks.

You have to pay attention and check the small screw that holds the hook as it rusts quickly. It takes a bit of getting used to, but a lot of fun once you get comfortable with it. It does get annoying as well to hook back in.

There was quick splurge of the v7 coming out soon, don't know when, you might want to wait for that version and see what kind of improvements they have made.

lieutenantglorp looks like he is selling an older notched version of the dynabar, you might want to try that first and see if you like it.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:34 pm

if you want, i'll sell you mine for cheap...i don't use it much... i think I have the v3..send me a PM if you're interested.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Rob
Regular
Regular

Post by Rob » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Wait you guys still use harnesses ??

metabon
Contributor
Contributor

Post by metabon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:09 pm

I've been using the Dakine "Sliding Bar Kit" with their Nitrous boardshort harness and a narrow 6" spreader bar: http://dakine.com/p/kite/kite-accessori ... ng-bar-kit

It's really simple, works as advertised and overall I'm happy with it.
But it took some getting used to:

The system feels much looser than other spreader bars because the strap and smaller spreader bar get pulled away from your body quite a bit while riding. This initially made me feel like couldn't "trust" it. If you use this, also be aware that the strap stretches by maybe an inch when it gets wet. I pull it very tight before launching to keep it from getting too loose on the water.

Cautionary tale: on one occasion, the strap came off on one side after landing a jump, it probably just fell out of its hook because it was loose. It took me a while to figure out what was going on while getting dragged sideways and unable to fully depower the kite because the chickenloop was almost an arm's length away from me. I managed to clip in again on the water and I now periodically check to make sure the red safety clips are both in place...

lieutenantglorp
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lieutenantglorp » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:39 am

I have the Dynabar v6. I previously had the v3 which I now have for sale also for cheap. The v3 gets the job done, but the v6 is better in many ways. These bars work great on any harness with removable bar for hooked in kiting. Definitely keep your stock bar to put on for unhooked sessions. Like reyrivera said, you definitely want the smooth bar for waves. Sometimes I forget to change it from the notched one (freeride) and then I am bummed out to first realize it out on the water. They also make a harness hook for it which fits better than dakine or stock hooks. Get the 13" bar if you are of average harness size or bigger. Most local shop that has them:

http://xtremebigair.com/stores/showdetl ... 4&CATID=10

I don't see a link for the hook, but he sells them also (separately)
dynabarV6.jpg
dynabarV6.jpg (43.83KiB)Viewed 8527 times
193468_158331297555270_154937781227955_292595_2011280_o.jpg
193468_158331297555270_154937781227955_292595_2011280_o.jpg (186.29KiB)Viewed 8527 times
Last edited by lieutenantglorp on Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ianwallace14
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ianwallace14 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks for the link, just bought one!

321kiteboarding
Joey
Joey

Post by 321kiteboarding » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:31 pm

I know its an old thread, but I saw that Kinsley Wong's shop Xtremebigair.com was mentioned and I just wanted to promote him and the product a bit more. The Dynabar has undergone some great improvements and if you ask anyone who rides one, they will never go back. Here is a great site for more information:

http://www.slidingspreaderbar.com

rowboat
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by rowboat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:41 am

I use a Dynabar (v7 I guess, I bought it earlier this year). I run mine with the Dyneema + a customized bar, no CL, no hook, just clip into a ring on the Dyneema with a snap shackle. Before you run off and tell me this is totally insane because snap shackles aren't guaranteed to release under load -- the Dynabar has a quick release mechanism built in. Pull the red ball and the line into which you are clipped releases. A lot of the "coast guys" that some refer to run a similar no-CL no-hook system but I don't understand how they have safe QR without something like what the Dynabar offers. See attached.
slidingspreaderbar - Home.jpg
slidingspreaderbar - Home.jpg (44.9KiB)Viewed 7619 times
-- Lose the Handles