ear protection for wipeouts

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
dealbst
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: ear protection for wipeouts

Post by dealbst » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Helmet with side ear protection. Nice when it's cold and windy at the coast as well.

-SPD XZSD

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:30 pm

dealbst wrote:Helmet with side ear protection. Nice when it's cold and windy at the coast as well.

-SPD XZSD
+1 Problem solved.

Kazemizu
Joey
Joey

Post by Kazemizu » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:47 pm

I went scuba diving, went down a little too fast....next day landed on my ear. Had vertigo and kept losing my balance for a few days, trouble walking and lightheaded. Had to delay my flight since doctor recommended. Pressure up/down may cause pain.

If I get water in my ears, it hurts a little, after kiting over an hour. It's been over 2 months now.
I am shopping now for headband like this now.
Should do trick. Also with long hair, will keep hair out of my eyes

http://www.live2kite.com/advanced_searc ... nd&x=0&y=0

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:42 am

For those that are happy with their helmet with side ear protection (kitet, dualist), please recommend their particular model.
I own both the Protec Ace Wake (with ear flaps) and the Gath (retractable visor) and neither of these provide adequate ear canal protection for me.

sc-surfer
Resident
Resident

Post by sc-surfer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:00 pm

When you crash, just open your mouth wide. It's bigger than your ear canals so the water will go in there and come out your ears. Your ear canals will get a good cleaning from the inside out.

It's what I do. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mf1tym
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mf1tym » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:22 am

RPSkater,

Would the Macks Silicon Moldable earplugs do the trick?
http://www.amazon.com/Macks-Pillow-Sili ... +ear+plugs
RPskater wrote:All ear plugs suck except Mac's ear plugs if you are looking for impact reduction. Having popped the typanic membrane 5 or 6 times in my right ear and twice in the left, I can tell you I have tried them all, or at least all the different types out there. The problem I found with most ear plugs are that when you tap on the plug with your finger, it is still sensative to your eardrum. This is because of the plug movement in the shaft of your ear when an outside force is applied. I went with wax (silicone) plugs from any Walgreens or CVS and have not had any issues of popped eardrums since (20 years now). This is because I mold the plug to go down the shaft a little and then spread the rest out in the bell of the ear. There is zero movement of the plug when tapped on by the finger. Just compare and you will see what I mean. That is the difference between popping an ear and not popping an ear.

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:57 am

sflinux wrote:For those that are happy with their helmet with side ear protection (kitet, dualist), please recommend their particular model.
I own both the Protec Ace Wake (with ear flaps) and the Gath (retractable visor) and neither of these provide adequate ear canal protection for me.
My guess it they're using something more like these...
Shred Ready Standard Full Cut
NRS Chaos Full Cut