Is the golf bag trick still working?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kenjidnb
Contributor
Contributor
Is the golf bag trick still working?

Post by kenjidnb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:04 pm

We are flying to the Caribbean (non-us island) this winter and I am trying to figure out the baggage logistic. American airlines has a nice rule that allows boards smaller than 62" total (length+width+thickness) to be counted as normal check in bags ($25~$35 extra). But truth is, most boards are bigger than that, mine for example is 134x42cm which is ~70" so I will have to pay $100 extra each way if I am honest and say it's a kiteboard. And this is not including the kites which would also be extra.

So we're back to the old golf club bag trick. But I am sure check-in staff are much more aware of fake golf bags nowadays than 5 years ago.

I wonder if anyone who got an experience with AA from the US to the Caribbean was successful with the "bigger than normal" golf club soft case. Whatever the trick was (sticking a few golf clubs on top of the hidden gear, "dressing" like a golfer, charming the check-in attendant...), please tell me what is the magic.

consumer
Regular
Regular

Re: Is the golf bag trick still working?

Post by consumer » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:50 pm

I just flew on american to St. Georges and back using my NSI golf bag from '05. Worked like a charm both ways and on multiple connections.

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:03 pm

Used an NSI to Portland and back 3 weeks ago on Southwest. No issues.
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

kitenaked
Old School
Old School

Post by kitenaked » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:22 pm

$35 going to Maui....$150+ coming back. No love.

kitecrazy
Regular
Regular

Post by kitecrazy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:23 pm

Used an NSI to La Paz/La Ventana for the last three winters; no problems.
Also to Cabarete without issue.

cleepa
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by cleepa » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:28 pm

Going to Maui this summer I had to pay the normal baggage fee for my Slingshot "golf bag". On the way back they asked what was in there and I told them kites + kiteboard. They didn't charge extra or ask any other questions. This was with United (via Oahu).

kitet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitet » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:48 pm

It works for me, but I use a real golf bag. The golf bags from kiteboarding brands are a joke. They don't look like golf bags at all. I don't get why kiteboarding brands don't try to imitate real golf bags more closely.

shred_da_gorge
Regular
Regular

Post by shred_da_gorge » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:54 pm

I've never paid a fee domestically (Southwest, Alaska, even the dreaded Continental), but then again I use my snowboard bag. Often to and from Texas and Florida.

stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stone » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:00 am

The bag is still working for me, just keep it underweight. Only grief I've gotten is coming back from maui, weighed 53 at the counter, was asked is there a board in there? Pulled a bunch of tshirts out and said no, just kites, and was fine.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:27 am

Worked like magic in the last 5 years with NSI bag, but I didn't travel in the last 12 months. I heard things changed. One thing for sure, it has to be under the weight limit, or else the questions start.

Why do kite companies to it the way they do it? Because you can fit a 150 board, tons of gear, its heavily padded, and the airlines believe its a golf bag.