NAME THAT LAUNCH?!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ricki » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:37 pm

You wanted Sherman Island, you got it, I think.

That is one bizarre looking image of patchwork patterns. You folks ride there correct? It looks fairly far inland but then again so is the Gorge.

Checkout: http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=362

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:13 pm

I just noted the full list from your link. My picks: 2) Malibu, 3) Alameda, 4) 3rd Avenue, 6) Close, but the Sherman launch is actually SW of this image at the western tip of the island. You can identify the launch site by the presence of two very small island and then a big one just offshore.
Go bigga'

ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ricki » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:00 am

fearlu wrote:I just noted the full list from your link. My picks: 2) Malibu, 3) Alameda, 4) 3rd Avenue, 6) Close, but the Sherman launch is actually SW of this image at the western tip of the island. You can identify the launch site by the presence of two very small island and then a big one just offshore.
Wow, you are the first to mention Alameda. I wasn't sure where the launch actually was along the coast there so I guessed. Is the area shown anywhere near the launch in Alameda in photo #3?

I zoomed in on the far end of Sherman Island to where I think your launch may be located. Is the launch area shown in the new closeup at: http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=362 ?

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:52 am

yeah it's in there Rick. The picture doesn't really give you an idea where we ride but you can see the launch. We ride upwind in the protection of the scattered islands...makes for some buttery flat water.

If you follow the trail from that parking area out to the middle beach, our launch is just behind that beach in the clearing. That little sliver of a path is where we walk out to the water once we are launched. A little intimidating but you get used to it and it's well worth it. All the shrubbery you see surrounding that launch is balckberry bushes...adds another motivation for clean launches.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ricki » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:32 am

KillaHz wrote:yeah it's in there Rick. The picture doesn't really give you an idea where we ride but you can see the launch. We ride upwind in the protection of the scattered islands...makes for some buttery flat water.

If you follow the trail from that parking area out to the middle beach, our launch is just behind that beach in the clearing. That little sliver of a path is where we walk out to the water once we are launched. A little intimidating but you get used to it and it's well worth it. All the shrubbery you see surrounding that launch is balckberry bushes...adds another motivation for clean launches.
Thanks for the input Gabe. I just uploaded another image to:

http://www.fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=362

I located the image before that from a iwindsurf map of the various launches at Sherman Island. I didn't know that the kiteboarders launched and rode upwind of the windsurfers in the lee of those islands. Live and learn, thanks for the info.

I guess a blackberry bush can do an number of a kite bladder fairly readily? I watch out for sand spurs down here for more minor but harder to find slow leaks.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:52 pm

Notice the larger of the two islands where we ride? You can even see the tules we huck in a C-shape at either end of the sandy crescent. I can hardly wait 'til June!
Go bigga'