NAME THAT LAUNCH?!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
NAME THAT LAUNCH?!

Post by ricki » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:39 pm

There is a new website online courtesy of the cybergnomes at Google.com. It has some fairly incredible images of most spots in the world. You will probably be seeing a fair amount of content from there going forward. In the meantime ...

There are two posts up, one with unidentified Satellite images of California launches and another one for locations in Florida. Can you name that launch?

Check it out at:
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=362

ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ricki » Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:22 pm

This image was derived from a 2 D sat. image in about 10 seconds!

Where is this place???

More at: http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=362

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:49 pm

can i post her?

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:55 pm

Ok rick check it out that looks VERY similar to this beach in southern california, just upwind of Topanga Canyon, this same beach in that picture has a stank river that runs into the ocean that runs right beneath PCH, and south of it is this Pier(how do you spell that), that used to have a restaurant on it, they were remodeling it, construction could be done now, but its called Alice, across the street from this beach(just up somewhat from the river and to the right you'll see lots of buildings), this is a shopping center, well actually two shopping centers, theres a gas station , and then behind that this shopping center with many of malibus finest spoiled hot women, The starbucks is a great hangout for people to show off their ferraris. Up PCH some more up above the second green patch is Pepperdine(Just after that triangluar shaped shopping center on your left, pepperdine is that greenish patch on the right).

Once you go around these mountains its Zuma beach, so that point sticking out on the way top left is point Dume.

Im sure its this beach now, i originally thought it the compass was pointing in the wrong direction but its not it's all correct.

Kevin Kolahi(aka Consumer, aka Kolahi , and so on).

ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ricki » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:22 pm

Sad to say, the ONLY part of California that I have seen in person has been the inside of LAX on the way to Maui several years ago. I just toured parts of the coast yesterday from space, sort of. Still, you have a lot of good local landmarks in your description. Other local guys have some ideas?

I was thinking these would be fairly easy for some Californians to ID as they mainly represent fairly popular launches. A couple of hints, the images start at the south of the state with Photo #1 and go north to the Bay area. From what I have heard, you would expect to see a few Ferraris around the shore area shown above. Also, I would bet you might even come across Traig Trumbo there abouts.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:35 am

it looks very similar to the beginning of the malibu area, just up from topanga, but

it cant be zuma, because zuma doesnt have a piere like that, but it definite does have a sludgy river at the end of it.

zuma is a popular launch, but uh if its the one just up from topanga its not very popular,atleast not popular from my point of view, we all rarely kited there.

I could guess a couple on that site, except for 2, one with a narrow strip of land(the first one), and another one with a harbor looking thing on the left(no idea with that one).

I saw the Golden Gate in one pic(looked like looking downwind at crissy), 3rd Avenue, and that spot in malibu. the other 2 stumped me, i know of no two places like that, well one of them looks familiar, but the one with the narrow strip, its just way dodgy ive never seen a channel like that.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:52 pm

I also guessed Malibu based on my experience driving North from LA on Pacific Coast Highway. I hesitated to post because I wasn't 100% sure. so...
Go bigga'

ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ricki » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:01 am

Well done guys,#2 is of the area of Malibu. Can folks match up identies for the other photo numbers?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:34 am

Rick i tried posting my answers to the site but you wont allow guests, and its finals time so im technically not supposed to be messing around, but here are my guesses,

1. Baja? Im really not sure about this one.
2. Malibu
3. (this one is kind of dodgy, i dont know sherman island? something in central california i dont know about, kind of looks like halfmoon but halfmon doesnt have islands)
4. SF Goldengate (crissy field is downwind).
5. 3rd Ave.

I want to see pictures of sherman island.

ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ricki » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:20 pm

Anonymous wrote:Rick i tried posting my answers to the site but you wont allow guests, and its finals time so im technically not supposed to be messing around, but here are my guesses,

1. Baja? Im really not sure about this one.
2. Malibu
3. (this one is kind of dodgy, i dont know sherman island? something in central california i dont know about, kind of looks like halfmoon but halfmon doesnt have islands)
4. SF Goldengate (crissy field is downwind).
5. 3rd Ave.

I want to see pictures of sherman island.
Good list. Any other ideas out there? If not, I fill in the list tomorrow.

I hear you about finals. I hope they go well!