What's with the wind (lack of) in Alameda in the Summer?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
What's with the wind (lack of) in Alameda in the Summer?

Post by Tunces » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:51 am

Help me understand why, in the summer time when Crissy and 3rd are cranking, Alameda is a no go. Yet in the Spring all three are on. :?: And yes, I know, I should drive to 3rd. But Alameda is just soooo convenient for me after work. I do my driving to Sherman Island when time permits.
Tunces - The driving cat!

reyrivera
Old School
Old School

Re: What's with the wind (lack of) in Alameda in the Summer?

Post by reyrivera » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:09 pm

Is it because of topography, South San Francisco and the hill ranges blocking the winds coming from the ocean?

On North West winds, maybe if all the tall buildings in San Francisco are demolished, then we will get awesome winds on the Alameda side of the bay.

EvanOR
Regular
Regular

Post by EvanOR » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:25 pm

Keeping it very basic, wind is created by the strength and location of pressure gradients from one area to another. These gradients are created by differences in pressure, which are created by the temperature of the air masses involved. This is the reason why Sherman blows hard when the Bay is cold and enshrouded in fog. High pressure (cold, moist air, which sinks) flows to low pressure (warm dry air that rises).

In the summer, the wind in the Bay largely a result of localized thermals, whereas In the " off season ", the strong NW's, southerlies etc are generated by systems of a much bigger scale.
Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Golden Gate Sailing Expeditions

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:42 pm

here's a good rule of thumb: Alameda is never windy.

as long as you follow that rule, you might be pleasantly surprised by wind there once in a while.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Tunces
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Tunces » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:01 pm

adamrod wrote:here's a good rule of thumb: Alameda is never windy.

as long as you follow that rule, you might be pleasantly surprised by wind there once in a while.
Ah, now I understand. #-o
Tunces - The driving cat!

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Corollary to Adam's Rule: Just because a beach is a good kite launch doesn't mean it's windy very often. There are other good beaches in the bay and on the coast that blow only every once in a while. Then there are places like Treasure Island, which is windy most of the time, but there's no good launch. Candlestick: windy, but blows offshore.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean about Alameda. This is my first full season kiting and I expected there to be a lot more wind, at least starting in May or June. It's been spotty. To be fair, I've had some *great* days down there this season. And a couple of times, there was so much wind that I couldn't go out on my 12m.

But I've also had my share of days there where I stood around waiting for naught. Or, I launched, only to struggle desperately to stay up and moving, with a few mediocre rides heading mostly downwind. It's disappointing, because I really like Alameda--great people, great school and shop, great scenery, convenient parking, nice park next door, gorgeous beach, grassy setup areas that are kind to your kite. It's the best spot around in every way except the one that counts the most!

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:45 pm

what really annoying is when Ikite says it will be windy and it is dead. nothing close to the forecast lately.

nick_80044
Regular
Regular

Post by nick_80044 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:08 pm

How true--I tried iKite earlier this year and gave up. It was routinely predicting 15-20mph at Alameda and it wasn't even close. I usually look at weather.com--they have an hour-by-hour forecast that's a little more realistic, though still no guarantee.

I recommend that anyone following Alameda log onto Facebook and/or Twitter and sign up with the Boardsports school. Jane (co-owner) regularly posts on-the-spot reports and sometimes she includes a brief video. I find these to be very helpful. Of course, it can look like wind and then by the time you drive down there and rig up there's nothing, but hey, can't have everything, right? :cry:

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:33 pm

Alameda's wind season as far as I remember is early in the spring and dies in the summer, while the rest of the bay (peninsula, sharman) is still cranking hard. Not sure about this year, I follow adams rule :)