Cooley Landing in East Palo Alto: meeting Saturday

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Cooley Landing in East Palo Alto: meeting Saturday

Post by stone » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:24 pm

Saw this on ikitesurf: http://www.ikitesurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14997

There will be an open house with guided visits this Saturday at 12:00 and 2:00 for community input on the new park being planned for Cooley Landing in East Palo Alto. This is Cooley Landing: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 9&t=h&z=16

Looks like it would be an intermediate/side-shore spot.

Cooley Landing planning website: http://www.cooleylanding.org

This is a chance to get another south bay launch--if you think the scene at 3rd ave upper launch is a just a wee bit crowded on summer weekends, this is a chance to do something about it. Show up, check it out, and suggest how great it would be for a small kite launch to be worked into the plans for the park.

stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Cooley Landing in East Palo Alto: meeting Saturday

Post by stone » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:54 pm

Eight kiteboarders and/or windsurfers showed up to represent. There was a voting system where you left a sticker on a poster for the park use you supported. Eight votes by the end of the day (2PM) puts a kite/windsurf launch in the middle of the pack, not bad, but I wish it had been more. I'm sure this not a binding vote process, but rather a way to quantify community opinion. This is going to be an ongoing process, and we'll probably need kiters to show up again.

I had a look at the site--it's definitely big enough to work in a kite launch without disturbing other park users. It also has epic mud that puts 3rd ave to shame. I was there about 30 minutes after extreme low tide (see pics).
Attachments
cooleyNorth.jpg
looking north
cooleySouth.jpg
looking south

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks for getting the word out and doing some legwork on this, it could be a valuable resource for South Bay kiters.

anyd
Joey
Joey

Post by anyd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:29 am

Note that you can still send comments via e-mail to Lily Lee: llee <at> cityofepa.org.

Andy

anyd
Joey
Joey

Post by anyd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:30 am

BTW Is it far enough away from the Palo Alto airport for kitesurfers ?

stone
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by stone » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:13 pm

anyd wrote:BTW Is it far enough away from the Palo Alto airport for kitesurfers ?
It's more than a mile from the end of the runway, and significantly off to the side. Let's put it this way--any plane tangling with kiters will have to cross through a set of high voltage lines 100 feet high that runs parallel to the runway between the runway and the water.

maxsteamer
Regular
Regular

Post by maxsteamer » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:50 am

Hello Pete,

Nice work fo sho.. I have been there and it is muddy but doable and it has a good wind most of the season, and if done right a big launch site to land Hello kite. thank's for the heads up on this spot fo sho....
http://www.cautionkites.com

Zombie
Spitfire
Trespass
DaKine
O'Neill

womrat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by womrat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:23 am

I just sent Lily an e-mail with my support!

kitewing
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitewing » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:40 pm

I was biking along the bay trail yesterday and came across Cooley landing for the first time. Of course my first thought was that it would be a great kiting spot, given that it's one of the few places in the South Bay that could be safely launchable outside of the electrical wires. Then I found this thread, and just saw this article in the San Mateo newspaper:

http://www.mercurynews.com/san-mateo-co ... i_19474141

Anyone know what happened / is happening with this project and the potential for having a safe kite launch established here?
Kites:
Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Razor
Ozone Frenzy, Flysurfer Speed 3

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:26 pm

OMG, this is happening and I read about it on sunday. How come that this wasnt posted WEEKS upfront on BAK to make sure we have the support. Ok I will try to get involved for sure.

Please PM me if you know who were the kiteboarders there so I can hook up and do some support work.

THNX, G