WOW

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
charlie
Old School
Old School
WOW

Post by charlie » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:49 pm

man o man was that on or what
i hope sunday sits down a touch!
boy you rode for the cycle
c

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:06 pm

Yep, B-Town was on fire today, steady and long. Went from 16 to 14 to 12. Might be the same tomorrow, but we have some Easter plans with friends, so I'll miss out. Sherman might be going off tomorrow also. Everyone who showed up at Berkeley got some; Charlie, Greg, Zeev, Joel, Al, Bard. Not bad, good job all...well done!
Later! Ollie

charlie
Old School
Old School

WOW

Post by charlie » Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:24 am

dude
did you check out the fat boost bard hit with the kite loop?
and you ollie with all the grabs
charlie

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:48 am

Are you guys launching at Ashby Beach? It always seemed kinda' sketchy there, but it sounds fun.
Go bigga'

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:14 am

Sunday was a bit disappointing at Berkeley (Ashby Beach). The wind was up and down all day and it never got steady enough for some good rides. Looks like Sherman was the place to be Sunday PM.

I got caught out when the wind died and had to self land on the beach by the frontage road. Thanks again Charlie for the ride back.

Al

charlie
Old School
Old School

WOW

Post by charlie » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:56 am

o ya
big fat bubble of hot unstable air at the put in,
good rideing once you get outside and the wind dosent die on ya!
and ya the pager reads hight for the put in
c

charlie
Old School
Old School

Re: WOW

Post by charlie » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:56 am

charlie wrote:o ya
big fat bubble of hot unstable air at the put in,
good rideing once you get outside and the wind dosent die on ya!
and ya the pager reads hight for the put in
c
and your welcome al

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:40 pm

Fearlu,

Well, yes, it is kinda sketchy, but once you're out it can be a lot of fun when conditions are good. If you experience problems once out, you have to be able to think ahead. For example, if for any reason you down your kite once out and can't relaunch it, know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. In the event of any equipment breakdown, crashed kite or whatever, better to bail out early, meaning to pull your safety and reel in your kite well before your imminent arrival at the frontage road beach alongside Interstate 80, or worse yet, the rocks along the road.

Once you're close to the frontage road, rocks and I-80, there's no one to land your kite and self-landing is not an option there.

So basically self-rescue planning and safety are essential. The launch is onshore as well, on a small beach surrounded by rocks and the frontage road and Bay Trail, so no mistakes... It's usually onshore wind, so once launched, you need to be able to send your kite and go upwind right away. If you're heading out past the point and your not powered up enough, turn around, tack back and try again.

It can be loads of fun, but most important is that anyone who kites there needs to be confident and make no mistakes. You would not want to be the one on the evening news because your kites on I-80 during rush hour.

What I worry about is what happens if I do need to pull my safety and for some reason that one line that the safety is rigged on fails? Yikes!!

See you there!
Ollie