Crissy field tides

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
face_plant
Contributor
Contributor

Post by face_plant » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:32 pm

[font=Verdana] You may not have been the only one, but none of the people riding in front of the beach are regulars at Crissy. The reason nobody rides there is that the wind is always better on the outside, always. There's no real reason to ride near the beach unless you're afraid of your equipment failing in which case you shouldn't be out period. And there's especially no reason to be jumping and doing tricks close to shore. We've seen many incidents where kites have blown through windsurfers, etc.
Best bet is to launch, don't linger on the beach and head for the North Tower. You'll be guaranteed to find a nice patch of butter or swell up there somewhere. [/font]

Loscocco
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Loscocco » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:16 pm

last Saturday was actually an exception to the wind being crappy close to shore because of the more different direction than usual. Most everyone was close to the shore (IE: halfway to Anita Rock and then another 1000ft out beyond) rather than the bridge because of the flood tide. I don't think anyone even made it to the bridge that day due tot he flood and that the wind was quite good nearby the beach.

I agree with Crissy being a place you launch carefully and get out away from the beach as quickly as possible but i didn't see anything that particular day that was too close to shore (like less than 1 kite lines length).
My Photography ==> www.Loscocco.com
Kites:Ocean Rodeo: Flites and Razors
Boards:Ocean Rodeo: Duke and Spotz Hydrofoil
Eyewear:Kurtis Surf Goggles www.KurtisUSA.com

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:21 pm

kite over pepoles is the worst thing you can do.
you hold the beach hostage...from
swimers ,windsurfers,waders.. other kiters....
walKers...

Stefaans
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Stefaans » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:57 am

Just don't okay!!!

BTW, when the wind fills in like that the best place to be is 100yards upwind acrosss the trees up there. seems like its always slack over there.

CdoG
Old School
Old School

Post by CdoG » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:04 am

seems to me that kiting "in front of any beach put in "
no matter where it is ...
si
pt jolly
alameda
3rd
crissy

is a no- no
its like standing in a door.

the only place that would be ok is
O.B.

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:42 am

Ah how a thread about tides becomes one on crissy etiquette.

Davewsail, there's no bad vibe. Anywhere you kite you have to be an ambassador. The first time I spoke with a kiteboarder was at Crissy, dude by the name of Chip. Really nice, patient guy and I got hooked on the sport (now I know he probably wanted to cut the Q&A and get on the water).

People are just sharing the spot's traditional usage. No sense practicing stuff near the launch and self rescuing through a bunch of windsurfers that have been there since before we could drive. Your downed kite just becomes a distraction.

Stefaans is right, if it's really filled in, kite up to the pines and throw down for the dogs. You can practice all day, swim in and not bother anyone. In general, you have to practice new stuff elsewhere.

john

davewsail
Regular
Regular

Post by davewsail » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:57 pm

John, thanks. That's the kind of response I was looking for. I always appreciate the scoop from locals. I totally understand each spot has it's own ins and outs which is why I asked in the first place. I'm not trying to mess up the order of the spot. I wouldn't want someone causing problems at my home spot either.

BTW, I must say the windsurfers at Crissy seemed much more laid back & chill than at some other spots.
Team rider for Sheldon Kiteboarding and North

al-kite-a
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by al-kite-a » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:01 am

BTW, I must say the windsurfers at Crissy seemed much more laid back & chill than at some other spots.
You asked why I asked people not to kite near the beach. You almost answered it here.
We (locals) have REPECT for others at our beach.
Other being dog owners, runners, parents of sand monsters (aka children) and yes even windsurfers.
We give RESPECT and we get it.
Crissy is a kiting spots that is heavily used by many ìothersî. SO we ask you only use the beach and kiddy pool ( anything inside of Anita Rock) area to launch and land.
If you canít find butter water, waves or better wind away from the beach you are not looking.

FYI- you scare my sand monster and he will take it out on your kite :)

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:28 pm

Hey Chris, update your sig. image link, it's not showing up...

Endlestorm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Endlestorm » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:27 am

Ended up squeezing a nice 40 minutes out of Crissy last night. Was super smooth and buttery. Today the flood goes till almost 7:00, but it looks like it is going to blow. Still worth going though, right?