Heading Down to La Ventana on March 18

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Heading Down to La Ventana on March 18

Post by Fassn8 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Well... work is overrated and I'd rather be kiting so...

My buddy and I are heading down to "the window" (La Ventana) from March 18th - 25th. On the off chance that anyone else is going to be down there from this forum let me know and we can have a few beers. We'll be staying at Baja Joe's.

I've read most of the La Ventana posts, but if anyone has any advice or recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Here's to hoping it's windy!

airess
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by airess » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:53 pm

i'll be there from mar 14-27 and i hear that it... has...been...NUKIN! wahoo! stop by bruce 'sheldon's place(next to Joe's) for cocktails. rita

Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:57 pm

Right on!!! We'll see you there. BTW - any recommendations on what to bring in terms of kite clothes? Wetsuit? Shorty?

airess
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by airess » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:02 pm

i'm taking a shorty, but i'm always cold. you most likely will use shorts and rash guard, but might throw in the shorty just in case. i'm hoping this late winter storm pattern continues. last year or year before when it stormed all of april thru end of may, it blew that whole time in La Ventana(very unusual) . anyway, 10 days to go. see ya there

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:47 pm

eh, i'd bring at least a full suit. When we went a few months ago there were days when I was in shorts and a rashguard and there were days when i was in my 4/3 steamer.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

bayardo8
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bayardo8 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:08 pm

just got back from la ventana. awsome time, great wind, 4 out of the five days i was there. wearing a shorty for kiting, shorts for swimming. nice water!
have fun!
manuel

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:04 pm

It is MUCH warmer in La V in March then it is in December. I've been there both months.

I kite in a shorty at Sherman in the summer and that's what I was wearing in Baja in March last year. If you kite in the Bay in a shorty, you probably won't need a wetsuit.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

marina cc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Great times

Post by marina cc » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:14 am

Just got back from two great weeks in Ventana. Here are a couple of suggestions:

If you can get some people together, take a boat and kite the island. It's a flatwater spot and supposed to serve up sweet conditions. Didn't make it there myself but will def next time.

If no wind or for a morning excursion, take a trip out to the point and snorkel by the giggling marlin restaurant. Food and margaritas are great there too. Tortilla soup and shrimp cocktail an awesome combo.

Do downwinders from the hot springs. Make sure entire bay is filled in as I saw many go down who took off too early. hot springs area normally fills in 30 minutes to an hour before Ventana Bay.

If no wind, ask where you hike to the waterfall. It's about a 2-3 mile hike from my understanding, to a 60ft waterfall pallm oasis.

Don't miss the margaritas at El Norte/Pablo's across from the campground.

Eat at the restaurant by the radio tower/baseball field. IT is KILLER for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

If you want a gourmet meal, check and see if Ventana Bay Resort is having any dinners. The food at this place is killer, but dinner is by reservation only. We stayed her for half our trip and it included breakfast and lunch. We didn't really think we'd want the lunch but we and all guests were rushing in from the water or back from Ventana so we didn't miss it. The food is truly killer at Ventana Bay/Mr Bill's.

Ventana was way better than I expected and i will definitely be going back!

Marina

Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:36 am

Thanks Marina! Can't wait for this trip.

Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:26 pm

One more question: Is there a shop in the area (La Ventana) to buy/demo/rent kites? My buddy and I have 12m Switchblades but it looks like a 9m may be in order. Are we screwed if we don't go down with 9's?

I sent an email to Baja Joe's and they said they have "a full shop". Not sure what that means or what products they carry.