new guy needs some help!!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
luigi
Joey
Joey
new guy needs some help!!

Post by luigi » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:59 am

whats up everyone!!! Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. My name is luigi and I took my first kiteboarding lesson this summer and fell in love with it. I am in the processes of buying a beginner 6m kite to practice my body dragging skills some more before I get situated in a bigger kite. I was looking at either the air rush pilot or the naish X-1 sle. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help!!!!!

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:56 pm

luigi,
First and formost WELCOME to kite boarding!
Next I've got a question for you: how did you conclude that a 6m was a good size to practice body dragging. Did your instructor make this suggestion, if so why? What is you objective, waves, flats, bay riding or open ocean. Are you into HIGH wind or are you concerned about safty and therefore want a broad safty margin.
Most average size riders (150-180lbs) want about a 12m for riding S.F. Bay waters.
L.M.G.

luigi
Joey
Joey

Post by luigi » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:02 pm

luigi,
First and formost WELCOME to kite boarding!
Next I've got a question for you: how did you conclude that a 6m was a good size to practice body dragging. Did your instructor make this suggestion, if so why? What is you objective, waves, flats, bay riding or open ocean. Are you into HIGH wind or are you concerned about safty and therefore want a broad safty margin.
Most average size riders (150-180lbs) want about a 12m for riding S.F. Bay waters.
L.M.G.
I am most concerned with safety and i would like to ride in the bay. I was put on a big 16m kite in my lesson and it was very intimidating for me. I was talking to some people that suggested that I get a 6m kite to practice body dragging with before getting on a bigger one. Do you have any suggestions? Should I go with a bigger kite?

luigi
Joey
Joey

Post by luigi » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:47 pm

little help?

K. Cliff
Regular
Regular

Post by K. Cliff » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:00 pm

Luigi, My suggestion to ya is not to stop at one lesson! In the spring go out to Alameda and watch for a little while. Get a reservation with one of one of the instructors until you are up on a board "mowin the lawn". When You move up to kiting out on Sherman (a lot of rocks on the delta) Take another lesson! If ya do go out to Sherman Island, get a hold of Bruce Sheldon or Nat. Just ask anybody out there and they will point you to an instructor. You will get a lot more out of it, with a few less broken body parts if you spend a few more bucks on LESSONS! Then you wont waste your money on a six meter kite either. Then when your done with those lessons, Then take another lesson to do all of un-hooked crazy kite looping insane tricks! Don't waste your time trying to figure it all out on your own. Just my two cents, C-ya around.....

luigi
Joey
Joey

Post by luigi » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:04 pm

Luigi, My suggestion to ya is not to stop at one lesson! In the spring go out to Alameda and watch for a little while. Get a reservation with one of one of the instructors until you are up on a board "mowin the lawn". When You move up to kiting out on Sherman (a lot of rocks on the delta) Take another lesson! If ya do go out to Sherman Island, get a hold of Bruce Sheldon or Nat. Just ask anybody out there and they will point you to an instructor. You will get a lot more out of it, with a few less broken body parts if you spend a few more bucks on LESSONS! Then you wont waste your money on a six meter kite either. Then when your done with those lessons, Then take another lesson to do all of un-hooked crazy kite looping insane tricks! Don't waste your time trying to figure it all out on your own. Just my two cents, C-ya around.....
thanks for the advice!

bobbyboom
Regular
Regular

Post by bobbyboom » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:33 pm

Hello Luigi, no offence but you will outgrow a 6m kite in about a week of solid riding/dragging unless you weight 50 lbs. If so then you are set. :mrgreen:

I know how intimidating kiting can be. I started this season too and love it so much. I don't know what you weigh but I weigh 165lbs and I ride a 12m and 14m almost exlusively. When it's blowing nutz I ride a 10m. I have an 8m and have NEVER blown it up.

My advice is to listen to K Cliff and put that money towards lessons. I would recommend Kitopia at Sherman as I have taken numerous lessons with them and Love their attention to saftey and detail, not to mention that both Donny and Sandy and NINJA good riders! http://kitopia.biz/.

Have fun and be safe.

-Bobby

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:48 am

luingi,
I asked the questions I asked to asses how you were introduced to kiting, what your experance was and how you want to proceed.
I agree with your conservitive approach but want to assure you that not having enough kite is almost as bad as having to much, as far as actual usability goes.
Small kites move fast, big ones move slow (generally).
Fast kites develope power quikly and almost pop to power then depower almost as fast becouse they can fly past the power zone so quikly. Big kites never seem to depower without be sheeted out and often feel sluggish, etc.. It's more an issue of delay and compensation.
Talk to a couple of SOLID instructor types (IN PERSON) with plunty of experance and they will most effectivly steer you in the right direction.
Remember, when asking for specific advice, give good details, the spectrum is almost unlimited. As far as additional lessons goes I agree that (good) lessons will get you up and running faster then anything else. As far as being imtidated by power goes, HEALTHY RESPECT will be your best friend, everyone with brains an experance knows that the kite will win when it really wants to. Dont push your limits- you WILL eventually loose...
KiteWindSurf at Alameda teaches by jet-ski. If you choose to take addional lessons with them your experance will be real world stuff. They will be remain near by to keep you as safe as possable. There instructors are all experanced and Jeff is an exceptional rider with well rounded advice.
Have Fun!!!
L.M.G.

ETHANol
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ETHANol » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:32 pm

If you want an Airush kite go with the DNA. NO QUESTION. It's a great beginner kite. It's a great expert kite. It's just a great kite at a great price. Amazing low end. Good depower. Great range. Really, don't get a C-kite to learn on, no matter how cheap you can pick one up for. Life is short and even shorter if you get killed kitesurfing.

And remember always make friends with the locals/regulars and listen to what people have to say, but realize some of them are idiots. And don't kook out. Making friends is very important for not only your enjoyment but for safety and learning. If you're a kook you'll be all alone.

I fly Naish and Best so I got no bias, both C's and Waroos.

ETHANol
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ETHANol » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:34 pm

I am a molecular biologist, so maybe a little bias to the DNA. But really it's by far their best kite to learn on and will take you as far as you want to go. I saw Maramenides killing it on that kite.