Dry suit?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
K. Cliff
Regular
Regular
Dry suit?

Post by K. Cliff » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:26 pm

Rookie question...... is it worth getting a dry suit for the winter? Does anybody have or know sombody that has a used one they want to get rid of. I'm probably an xl, 5' 11"-220#. I really dont want to shell out a lot of money for a new one unless Im sure I'm going to use it (next winter). Ebay and craigslist really doesn't have anything.....thx

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:15 pm

Most winter riders in Norcal are fine in thick wetsuits (4/3 etc.)

It's not like you're ever going to be in the water for more than an hour or two at a time; winter wind doesn't usually last all day. You'll be lucky to catch a session at all most of the time, unless you are very vigilant and can leave work at a moment's notice.

People kite in Long Island Sound (NY) in the winter in dry suits.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:36 pm

the impression i get is that drysuits require a bit of upkeep. if you get cold easily, buy a thick wetsuit and wear a hood and perhaps some polartec underlayers (they make warm underlayers specifically for wetsuit use).

I find a hood makes the biggest difference. and at $15 it's not gonna break the bank.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:18 am

I agree, a good winter suit is all you need here. I love my 3/4 as the new suits have lots of flexability, not like the old days.. the only problem is with this flex ability comes less density and leads to lots more ripping..

I also agree with a hood...

One trick I found, bring a cooler filled with almost boiling water, keep it taped up untill you get out for the water, then stick you feet and hands in, wipe the warm water all around untill you start to get your feeling back...
It really works well...
Rich "ATOM" Baum

Bob
Regular
Regular

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:32 pm

Decades of experience with both dry suits and wet suits.

My defining experience was a hole in my drysuit while windsurfing in winter winds. A long story short it's hard to water start with a "dry suit" full of frigid water. By the time I made landfall I was hypothermic which sort of defeated the concept of wearing protective gear...

I use a dry suit above the water e.g. dinghy racing, foredeck, jet ski, etc. but NEVER if I'm going to be IN the water. (My torn wetsuit kept me warm)

The high end wet suits are worth every penny in warmth and comfort (thicker IS warmer). Accessorizing with a covering for your head then hands then feet will help a bunch. There are also vests out there with hoods attached that keep your core warm too.

But a dry suit...nahhh unless your allergic to neoprene.

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:41 am

Buggie drysuits have gone long ways.
They are not common on our coast, but man they r comfortable.
Just off bed on your PJs, put on the dry suit and hit those storms :-)
We will see many more dry suits on the West Coast this year. They are just more comfortable and warmer than the traditional Steamers and with a 52F water and 40s wind they make a lot of sense.
If $500 is too much then a good 5/3 Steamer (4/3 wouldn't be enough) with a lot of flex and windchill resistance would work. Hood and booties are a must - Gloves are a nice to have although you can live w/out.
Now if something breaks and you are in the water for more than 1.5 / 2 hrs you would wish you had a dry suit.