Family competible spot Baja

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
knyfe
Resident
Resident
Family competible spot Baja

Post by knyfe » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:45 pm

yes, it the time already where we have to think about where to go xmas. Can someone recommend a spot down in Baja where we have 15-20knot at max, Waves for me, flat water for my wive and lots of sand for the kids? Sandblasting at the beach above 20knot is no fun for the kids...

Every comment is welcome! THNX, Georg

K. Cliff
Regular
Regular

Post by K. Cliff » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:21 am

Get a hold of Bruce @ sheldonsails.com or 707-374-3053. He can give ya the whole run down in La Ventanna. Tell him Kevin sent ya....... I've never been there but he set us up in Jan.
Deltaviking1@gmail.com
Shuttles available upwind from Pittsburg and Sherman all summer. Come see what kiting west has to offer.

airess
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by airess » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:42 pm

F.Y.I. Bruce's web address is 'sheldonkiteboarding.com' and e-mail is sheldon_sails@yahoo.com. he's a great source on all of Baja.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:05 pm

But you probably already know that La Ventana is a boring, ugly spot for anyone who's not kiting all day. The food sucks, the lodging is getting better but still not exactly five stars, and sitting on the beach most days means getting sandblasted all day. So much as I love going there myself...

Bob "Whitecap" did a post last year saying he was going to take his family to Hotel Buenavista in Las Barilles this year. Good wind (although not as reliable as La V.), a beautiful old hotel with lots of character and great food, and a nicer beach than La V. Also, lots more to do in Las Bar. day and night. Waves, too, which La. V. technically doesn't have. It's also closer to Cabo and there are shuttle buses going there from the airport.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by liv2kitesurf » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:28 pm

Great info Paul. I have reservations at La Ventana and a plane ticket between Christmas and New Years ... but I have used up my hall passes and my family (wife and 17y old daughter) is interested in going somewhere fun. My daughter said she was interested in La Ventana ... but she does not know of what she speaks (and I was pretty sure it would be too boring for her). So, your info about Los Barilles is good.

Also, I am much more interested in kiting in the waves than on flat water (and surfing is a bonus) so Los Barilles is interesting. And while I have heard it is mostly of interest to the windsurfing crowd.. I guess if it is good enough for them (and the launch is not too suicidal... it should be good for kiting, too).

Where is a good place to stay down there.

Thanks,

Paul
liv2kitesurf
BayAreaKiteboarding 1st enrolled member ! (besides host)

F-one Bandit 7.5, 9 & 11m
6'0" yellow custom quad surfboard

http://picasaweb.google.com/2kitesurf/B ... dingShotsI

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:59 pm

I don't know what you guys are thinking, although the East side of Baja does get some swell & wave action, let's not mistake that for viable surf and certainly nothing you can use a surfboard on...

We went to La Ventana last Feb. wit our 2 kids (5 & 6) and they really did not have a great time. I would agree that there is lot's more to do in Los Barilles for the family and as the wind tends to be a bit less that La Ventana that might be good for your 20 mph range.

One other thing to remember, our kids never wanted to go in the water as it tends to be pretty cold. If you do go I would recommend you get them wet suits, or at least a shorty.

Just my $ .02 worth...
Rich "ATOM" Baum

jowall
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jowall » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:59 am

I planned on Ventana w/family last year and went to Barriles instead. We stayed in a house on the beach right in Barriles and checked out Rancho BV one day. In hindsight, we should have booked that because it has a pool, some wind breaks and you don't worry about food as meals are included.

I got 5 days out of 7 on my 12M and there was a nice swell. No crowds on the water. RBV is about 5 mintues from Barriles and the most kiters (maybe 10?) are another 5 minutes up at the campground. The launch at RBV seemed a little sketch, you'll have to check it out at low tide first for rocks. You could potentially do a downwinder from Barilles down to RBV.

We went in early Feb and the kids could swim about 10 minutes in shorties before getting cold. No wind in the morning (till say 9:30-10) or the evenings, so that's nice.

lmontejo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lmontejo » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi,

We stayed at a place last year called La Casa Verde. (http://bajmahal.com)

100% family friendly, and loved it.

I highly recommend it!
Leo

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:02 pm

You mention waves in baja. There are waves in baja? As in, waves for wave riding? Where? In La ventana or Los barilles?
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

lmontejo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by lmontejo » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:16 pm

Last year, I went to La Ventana in February. I kited 7 days/7 days I was there.

If you head out 1-2 miles from the beach, you'll be in the middle of the bay, with some 3-4ft waves that you can certainly ride.

As for the wind, you could set your watch by it. Up until 10am, the water is usually like glass, and you can kayak. At 10am, you look towards the North, and you will see the wind line coming. By 10:30 it's usually blowing 10-12 knots. By 11 it was blowing 20, and from then until 3pm, it would blow 20-25 knots - maybe gusts to 30 outside in the middle of the bay. I was never overpowered with my 12m Crossbow.

As for the kids - take your Alameda tent, but I don't recall it being so windy on the beach that it was uncomfortable without one. (We'll take one this year, but had none last year).

The place I mentioned has kayaks and mountain bikes that are free to use if you are staying there. There are also areas to rinse your equipment, and even to sail repairs.

The launch in front of Casa Verde is easy, but there are some rocks, so pay special attention to where they are for when you come back. I saw a couple of newbies get into a mess there. 100 yards down, the launch and landing are "Alameda" like, with plenty of sand and people to help you.

But it is pretty nice to step out of your hotel room, rig and launch without walking more than a few steps.

The water was on the cool side. I still kited with my shorty, but wished I had taken my normal wet suit for days when the clouds covered the area.

As for food - if you stay away from the gringo places, you will thoroughly enjoy it. I you have a car, 30 minutes away there is a beautiful place called Bahia de los Muertos with a great restaurant. 45 minutes away you have La Paz, with much better places to eat than Los Barriles.

I found the place tourist friendly - tourist safe. We'll go back this year.
Leo