Top of the Food Chain...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
fearlu
Resident
Resident
Top of the Food Chain...

Post by fearlu » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:18 am

I just read an article in the October issue of Natural History about "Sociable Killers"-- great white sharks. After years of study off Seal Island, South Africa, these particular researchers had some great news for us. After observing more than 2500 predatory attacks they have characterized these sharks as "intelligent, curious, and oddly skittish creatures." The bad news is, they also cite the area where we ride as one of the three regions worldwide where these behaviors occur (but you already knew that!)

Great whites are the largest of all predatory sharks, reaching lengths of more than 25 feet and weighing in at up to 4500 pounds. (Gulp.)

"Far from being the indiscriminate killers the movies have portrayed, white sharks are quite selective in targeting their prey."

"The white shark's diet includes bony fish, crabs, rays, sea birds, other sharks, snails, squid and turtles, but marine mammals may be its favorite meal." (Are kiteboarders considered marine mammals?)

"The white shark relies on stealth and ambush when hunting... it stalks its prey from the depths, then attacks from below." (This is good news since we don't have to worry about the fear of anticipation during any potential encounters!)

"...at the Farallons, most white shark attacks take place during high tide, near where the animals enter and exit the water." (Now where is that tide table?)

"The vast majority of (the attacks on people) bear no resemblance to shark attacks on prey. The attacks on people are slow and deliberate, and the resulting wounds are relatively minor compared with the wounds inflicted on prey. About 85% of the victims survive. Deaths do occur from blood loss, but there are very few verified cases in which a white shark actually consumed a person. Clearly, we are not on their menu." (I feel better now.)

"...we believe that white sharks probably bite people not to eat them but to satisfy their curiousity. Fortunately, the shark's investigation of a person is usually interrupted by the victim's brave companions." (Don't be shy about asking for some help while launching, landing or being snacked upon.)

Herein lies the good news! They don't want to eat us and, if they do nip us just for grins we are likely to survive. Especially since the other people in the water usually step up a counterattack. Don't be afraid to help out your fellow kiters since... "some white sharks are so skittish that they flinch and veer away when they notice the smallest change in their environment."

Had enough? Okay, gotta' go! I think it will be windy today near the greatest concentration of young seals and sea lions in all the world! :shock: (And remember, in the words of Bob Marley, "don't give up the fight!")
Go bigga'

mbzporvida
Regular
Regular

Post by mbzporvida » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:48 am

Dave lets hope the "Whites' don't figure out there is plenty of food when the tide is changing and it is blowing 20 kts. See you at beach! Curt :mrgreen:
Another trip around the sun ?

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:57 pm

I'm gonna start practicing my flat landings to scare them away, I've heard Chip land from 1/2 a mile away, must sound like thunder to sharks 2 feet below! No wonder why he isnt afraid of kiting the eastern tip of the Red Tri-angle... :tonqe:
L.M.G.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:04 pm

and i thought you were gonna bring up the fact that they prey in groups and stage there attack areas.. how they have been observed corraling groups of seals and picking them off one by one, first fatally wounding them then peacefully waiting tell they bleed out enough to weaken before gently taking them down.... :toimonster:
they really are supperb hunters!