Berkeley Shows No Mercy

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Berkeley Shows No Mercy

Post by OliverG » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:06 pm

After an epic day at Berkeley yesterday with steady 20mph winds from Noon to 5 or 6pm (which I missed), today failed to deliver with the same quality. Starting with almost no beach on a high tide, we were all optimistic as we saw the wind building and making its way in. It showed classic Berkeley late-season signs with the wind cycling in and out and shiny, no-wind spots here and there, but we were determined to kite. Upon seeing a couple of puffs coming in, I quickly put on my wetsuit, ran my lines and launched, dtermined to kite. Things looked good as I bodydragged out a little ways to hit the wind line and took off with good power. The peanut gallery grew to at least a dozen kiters as more and more showed up. I headed out on a starboard tack lit-up and excercising caution, turned back to make my way upwind before going out too far and being subjected to the classic Berkeley cruelty of high-wind hopes turning into a gradual descent to Last Chance Beach. I headed back toward the launch feeling good power and edging hard and sheeted in and then felt, nothing. The kite fell out of the sky despite my best efforts, rolled in to the beach with the lines laying down in the water where they picked up an ungodly amount of seaweed. A fellow kiter held the kite up for relaunch, but 30 lbs. of seaweed proved to be too much for the next puff that came through and the kite would not fly. Hearty heckling continued. A concentrated effort by 5 fellow kiters relieved my lines of the excess weight within a few minutes and relaunch ensued. Would it and could it work? The kite flew and dedicated bodydragging brought me closer and closer to the wind. Finally, wind! I got up on the board and set off on a long tack and made my way toward the Cal Sailing Club with my sights on H's Lordships. I looked back and saw kite after kite being launched in the midst of a rigging frenzy. Kiter after kiter went out, some got the goods, some didn't. The wind was cycling in and out, was up and down and holey. At H's Lordships, I hit a no-wind zone and the kite almost fell out of the sky. I managed to bodydrag back to find wind and got pulled onto my face during a 0mph to 25mph gust variation. I still was able to kite for maybe an hour and half, and it was fun but not easy at times. Others found similiar success, but some didn't as a drop in wind brought 9 kites down on the water with many swimming in and/or walking in from the rocks or Last Chance. Some picked up as much as 40 or 50 lbs of seaweed on their lines and one kiter to remain nameless (Jeffrey) elected to throw the whole stinking heap on his shoulder, put it in the car and deal with it at home.

Everyone took it in stride and we all know there are no guarantees when it comes to wind, but at least we tried. Great to see everyone out there today, though!

mbzporvida
Regular
Regular

Post by mbzporvida » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:56 pm

I was also at Berkeley today with hopes of a repeat of Saturday.After getting the 14 meter Vegas handed off to me from Michelle I set out to have my way with this Point Emery launch.After 2 tacks I found out the hard way that Berkeley wind can just shut off! I tried to relaunch but there was no wind to be had.Lucky for me I was able to swim in to Last Chance Beach.After a short walk I found I was lucky not to have had the joy of the rocks or the "Seaweed" as others had. This was my first time to Berkeley and I can see if the wind was good it could be a great place to ride,I just need more wind and time there to figure this place out.Thanks to all the local riders for there advice and precautions of this launch. Curt :roll:
Another trip around the sun ?

berrisbob
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by berrisbob » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:32 pm

Ollie and Curt, 3rd Avenue was the call today. The wind started coming up about 3pm and I was fully powered on my 12m from 3:30 to 5. It dropped off a notch around then, so I came in. But several others stayed out for at least another hour.

The wind was very consistent and filled in all the way to shore. I counted 33 kites on the water at one point, and there were even more a half hour later from the looks of it, although I didn't count them again.

It was a nice treat for this time of year, and it was good to see some of my 3rd Ave buddies that I don't see very often.

average_male
Regular
Regular

Post by average_male » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:40 pm

My girlfriend counted 60 kites at 3rd ~5:00PM

adamrod
Old School
Old School

Post by adamrod » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:40 pm

yeah. wow. not to rub it in, but the wind at 3rd was probably the steadiest i've seen it in a while. also, that 1.5 knot ebb was pretty sweet for staying upwind too.

i think everyone was trying to get in one last session before the wind becomes really unpredictable. there were a ton of kites out there, but in classic 3rd ave style, it wasn't crowded.
Liquid Force Kites/Boards
ShredReady Helmets

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:07 pm

Crissy was good too! I counted at least 20 kites by the North tower at one point, which is more than I've ever seen there. The wind was surprisingly steady as the most of the bay was covered in fog.

The fog made it very interesting! In certain spots you could look 360 degrees around you and not see any land, just fog and you really didn't know where you were. The north tower was totally clear and sunny, but when I made my way back to the beach, I had to guess where to come in b/c I couldn't see anything.

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:44 pm

Oh man, Berkeley sent me back to school today. I guess there is a price to pay for so many good days. The funny thing was that this was exactly the same situation as last week except I wasn't stupid enough to get in the water. I think seeing the stoke on everyone's face made my decision making process a bit clowded. None the less, it was a lot of fun seeing everyone out having a good time while it lasted.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:18 am

Berkeley is INDEED a cruel mistress. Kudos to those who got to ride and see you all soon I'm sure!
Go bigga'

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:36 am

apart from the wind, fog, sharks and big horns blasting away, Crissy was total bliss untell...
Enjoy,
Limm

narly1
Regular
Regular

made for web tv drama..

Post by narly1 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:12 am

saw the hole thing on the berkeley web cam....
from ollie rig n up to what looked like 7 or so kites down and drifting in ...

Seems like the berkeley seed weed clean up day was a BiG secsess.
good job to all that helped.
Narly1