Real/Slezak on Discovery Channel

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
OliverG
Old School
Old School
Real/Slezak on Discovery Channel

Post by OliverG » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:58 pm

Real kiteboarding and Jason Slezak are featured on Stunt Junkies, showing on Discovery Channel Wednesday, September 6 at 10PM.

"DSC ó Stunt Junkies: Go Big or Go Home
Kiteboard Island Leap

Jason Slezak would like to execute the largest land gap ever attempted, ramp to ramp, on a kiteboard."

Britt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Britt » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:09 pm

I flew back to Hatteras to try out the 2007 Liquid Force line-up of kites and boards. Slezy's a team rider and has a good amount of input into the products so he was riding with us in all of the sessions. Great guy. We were talking about having him come out next year to do a promo tour of his new board, The Mission. I told him I wanted to park my friends boat (more like a small yacht) near the Delta and maybe have people hang out on the boat while he busts big moves. He wanted me to look into putting a temporary slider on top of the boat.... I explained that it was over two stories tall and 60 Ft long.... he replied "perfect". That would be something to see live.

S.I. Rider
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by S.I. Rider » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:30 am

how are the new kites. i'm interested in the new hybrid kite with no pulleys. did you get to try it out?

Britt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Britt » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:47 am

The Havoc is the new bridled kite your talking about. The idea is the have a c-kite feel with the safety, relaunch and depower of a bow.

The wind kind of sucked for our trip! We got skunked two days and were flying everything in way too light winds. I need to fly the kite in decent conditions. My partial observations are below.

Its got very consistent pull and a lot of smooth power through the turns. Rather than having the rear lines pull the trailing edges "out" to turn, it pulls them lower than the leading edge. This results in a smoother distribution of power through the turn because the profile of the kite doesn't change. The bridle system gives it plenty of depower, not as much as a bow, but just about 90-95% of full depower. It also makes rel-launch simple. I liked that feature because it drops the hassle of a fifth line.

The bar system was pretty cool. Depower strap ran through the chicken loop so it was conveniently located. It also has this cool power-lock system.

Jeff at kitewindsurf will have a 12M in the next 2 weeks. We'll probably head up top SI when he gets it. I should have a 12, 10, and 8 for demo's not too long after. I'll post when I get the demo's.

bobbyboom
Regular
Regular

Post by bobbyboom » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:33 pm

Sweet show! I think Jason did a great job at representing the sport on mainstream TV. It was great how much he emphasized saftey.

Interesting to know that only "20 people have died kiteboarding since the year 2000." I'm not sure where that statistic came from.

Kick ass jump. You could see how stoked he was after he stuck it! Rock on man. Nice to see kiting on TV for once. =D>

-Bobby

al-kite-a
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by al-kite-a » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:38 pm

I don't think that it was a great of a show.

It would have been better as a 30 sec vid on youtube.com instead of a waste of 30 minutes on TV.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:45 pm

They need the old host back.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:09 am

I agree it wasnt that great but thats because they have to hype up 30 seconds of footage over 20 minutes. We were laughing at how every scene they kept saying the same thing over and over. Its kind of like an Indiana Jones movie when you see him running for the closing door and then the next scene the door is back up a foot, then again, and again from a different angle, then wham!