Reading ikitesurf.com and 3rd Ave???

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
bobbyboom
Regular
Regular
Reading ikitesurf.com and 3rd Ave???

Post by bobbyboom » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:28 pm

This may sound silly but I wanted to see how people read ikitesurf as far as knowing if 3rd ave is good to ride? I've talked to so many people with different "theories," so I thought I'd find out yours. I LOVE riding at 3rd but it's very far out of the way for me. If I drive out there I want to make sure it's ridable. Here are some of the theories I've heard from various riders:

1. Go by the 3rd ave channel reading: problem there is that the launch is considerably less.

2. Go by the 3rd Ave reading and add 4 to it: Huh? Why???

3. Some say go by the Coyote Point reading to get a "realistic" idea of what the launch will be: ?

4. Or go by the 3rd Ave reading. However, sometimes this looks low but them my wife (who works in San Mateo) tells me there were tons of kites on the water when she drove home.

Any tips would help a ton. Thanks.

-Bobby
Last edited by bobbyboom on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:56 pm

Go by the Third Ave webcam. That's my theory ;)

bobbyboom
Regular
Regular

Post by bobbyboom » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:15 am

Where can I find the 3rd Ave web cam?

-Bobby

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:16 am

Big Al
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Big Al » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:00 pm

I'm by no means a 3rd Ave local, but I kite there 15-20X per year and have a good sense of how to read the sensor.

Just as important as wind speed is also the direction of the wind for 3rd Ave. If the wind is NW or WNW (side shore wind) you're in good shape and you can go by the either sensor. The high reading of the 3rd Ave beach sensor is usually the average reading of the channel sensor and the launch is generally pretty windy if either one is reading 20 mph or greater. I've never been dissappointed with a good sensor reading in NW or WNW winds.

If the wind is W (side offshore) the wind tends to be gusty and can be kind of light at the launch and much windier in the channel. With SW or S winds, the wind is very gusty and offshore and most people avoid going out in these conditions.

Hope this helps.

Al

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:43 pm

Sounds like you need to get your wife kiting; then she'll be able to call you when she gets to the launch and give you an on-site report.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

bobbyboom
Regular
Regular

Post by bobbyboom » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:54 pm

Sounds like you need to get your wife kiting; then she'll be able to call you when she gets to the launch and give you an on-site report.
Ha ha, she sees me do it and says "hell no." But she did take up windsurfing now so at least we can ride together. Woo hoo!!!!

Also, thanks for the help reading the sensors. This helps a lot, plus the web cam. I rode Pt Emery for the first time yesterday and I'm so happy. It rocked! In case people don't know there is also a cam for Pt Emery here:
http://berkeleycam.net/frame.php?viewNa ... rkeley.jpg

-Bobby