5 line bows

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
KirkTalon
Regular
Regular

Post by KirkTalon » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:15 pm

Hey Gideonlow.

The Waroos come with a wrist leash which I switched not liking the around the wrist thing. The owner of the Waroo you borrowed might not have had the leash on it but it sure comes with one...Otherwise if you have to depower or ditch the kite for wathever reason it would just be gone as a offering to the wind gods.

Best wishes

Kirk
RRD, Mystic

Kraemer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Kraemer » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:28 pm

If you've flown a bowkite long enough, you would know that 100% depower is B.S. 85% depower is more like it. It has good relaunch -- but when it's nuking --you just try to depower it 100%--or self land for that matter. It will drop to the water/ground--but you're fighting it.
I think a 5th line is a great addition for the bow. All the manufacturers seem to be adding them as an option. North, Naish, and SS to name a few. I think Inversions would also be eliminated.

moose
Joey
Joey

Post by moose » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:00 pm

Patent wise, not all 4 line flat kites pay the patent. I think the Waroo and the Sonic do not pay.
The GK uses its own patent. It had patented the S.L.E. which is different than a "bow" kite patent. They are currently litigation hunting, trying to find every company that uses the SLE and getting their royalties, which is probably why the Waroo Pro will be around the same price as the Link next year.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:49 am

Why are we as consumers worried about patents and royalties again?
Dewey

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:53 am

Speaking of leashes, does anyone use a wrist leash anymore? The Waroo came with wrist leash that seemed like an item from a museum. If things are bad enough to pull the safety, the last thing I want is one had disabled.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:57 pm

I'm also pretty shocked to hear mention of wrist leashes. Especially given some of the recent posts mentioning how much "safer" bow kites are than C kites.

I've never seen anyone using a bow kite with a wrist leash on. Does that mean that they don't have a leash at all?

I remember seeing an incident out on the river where a beginner was getting teabagged for what seemed like forever by his bowkite, which kept crashing, relaunching, and looping over and over again like a trainer kite in a death spiral. I kept wondering why he didn't just pull his safety. But if he didn't have a leash on, he would have been choosing to lose his kite. His instructor (in a boat) finally grabbed the kite.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:09 pm

The reason for him not pulling his quick release was that (acording to Julie in the boat who possably saved his life) his leash did not have a quick release.... imagine that....

Just think, getting dragged by your leash, backwards, half underwater and nothing but the rocks on the levee to stop you....
Rich "ATOM" Baum