Wetsuit Recommendation

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
gideonlow
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Skip the hoodie . . . A helmet is more important

Post by gideonlow » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:58 am

Hoods do work very well to keep you warm on the ocean on cool winter days, but it is much safer to use a helmet and a warmer/better-insulated suit. If you plan to kitesurf for a lifetime, it is very wise to get into the habit of using a helmet regularly and in all conditions, or someday the odds may catch-up with you. Besides, helmets help to keep your noggin warm as well.

It may not be the "cool" thing to wear, but who gives a damn what's cool? If you ask me, being smart is the coolest thing to do!

Welcome to the Bay Area . . . I moved back here from NYC this spring and have been in kitesurfing rapture ever since.

Cheers,

Gideon

Kite Adventures
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Kite Adventures » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:08 pm

*drool*, yea kiting in the NYC area SUCKS.
I'm all for helmets, and agree, being "cool" is not a reason to possibly lose my marbles.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:14 pm

Does your shirt say"windsurfing has been cancelled?"

If so, you are awesome for wearing that!

Kite Adventures
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Kite Adventures » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:20 pm

Yes it does. Had it made and wore it for New Years in Rio, didn't have as much crowd appeal as I would have liked... so saving it up.

So, tell me. Can i get away with a 3/2 at Sherman Island?

Scotty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Scotty » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:31 pm

you can get away with a 2/1 shorty during the hot days, you may need a 3/2 on some of the chilly mornings (7am-10am)

MG
Contributor
Contributor

Wet-suit modification

Post by MG » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:57 pm

liv2kitesurf,

any tips on how to make the holes into the wetsuit to drain the watter without risking the holes ripping over time? thanks

MG

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:12 am

Yes it does. Had it made and wore it for New Years in Rio, didn't have as much crowd appeal as I would have liked... so saving it up.

So, tell me. Can i get away with a 3/2 at Sherman Island?
Most (not all) of the girls that kite at Sherman use a 3/2. Most guys wear anything from 3/2 to board shorts. It gets really warm out there. I wear board shorts during summer.
Dewey

Kite Adventures
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Kite Adventures » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:23 am

AWESOME!
Thanks

AntiJF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by AntiJF » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:30 pm

I ran into this guy today who had goiters full of water in the legs of his wetsuit. When I pointed it out, he said "No problem, I use it to wash my feet when I get to the car"

zgur
Resident
Resident

Rubber

Post by zgur » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:10 pm

Ocean - you need a 4/3 for sure, my wife prefers a 5/3. That water is chilly, and the wind smokes.
Bay - 4/3 is good enough unless really cold winter storm/clearing winds.
Sherman - am/late PM you need a 4/3 if you are a gal, 3/2 can work depends on how long your sessions are. My wife, who is iron woman, gets cold in a 4/3.

I like a shorty for Sherman during the day/mid summer. Early/late season and early morniing sesh, you need a bit more rubber.

Brands:
NeilPryde - fits well in store, good price, low durability
Hotline - custom made in Santa Cruz, bomber
O'Niell - can't go wrong
Mystic - nice up coming company, no personal experience yet.

I find that I need to replace my suit at least 1/season, as I ride quite a bit. Your milage will vary, depending on quantity of use, how much sun it gets, how often you rinse with fresh water, etc.....I just buy a good suit at the end of each season during the labor day sales, which are quite nice. You can get good suits, as the next year models are hitting the retail scene, at 30%-40% discounts.

It's also key to have 2 suits in case:
* you have multiple sessions during 1 day and need to put on a dry suit (staying in cold suit is no fun)
* you love sunset/sunrise sessions and don't like putting on wet rubber, who does???
* you know that you will one day forget one and you will be happy to have backup
* your bro will one day show up at the beach, and have forgetten their suit, and you will save the day and help them out.....

Welcome to kite paradise, aka, the bay area.

Get some, Z.