Bomber kiteboard recommendations

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Blackbird
Regular
Regular
Bomber kiteboard recommendations

Post by Blackbird » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:36 pm

Alright, looking for input on experience with boards. Considering I just broke my Liquid Force Drop LTD, I'm looking for a bomber, I mean bomber, kiteboard in the 130's range. I am very hard on equipment and do not want to replace stuff all the time. Got any recommendations?

moblvet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by moblvet » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:47 pm

At 230 lbs dry weight and probably 260 lbs with helmet, gloves, booties, wet suit, harness, and wet, I've broken too many boards, but haven't yet broke any of my 3 Underground boards.
Two days ago had a very very hard landing after jumping behind blue and gold ferry up to pilot house height, tore off my airborne decal from my helmet but board OK!
Talk to Vangelis/Evan at live to kite, he warranties a lot of different board types and should know the scoop.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:48 pm

The Underground boards are bomber and I haven't heard of anyone else besides me breaking one, but i break alot of stuff. I just got a Brunotti which seems to be pretty darn bomber. It's made in Austria in the same factory as Burton snowboards using snowboard construction methods. It's got great flex and pop. I got the 134 x 37, which is nice as it's 2cm longer and 2cm narrower than the UG FLX 132, which makes for a slightly faster board. Evan at Live2Kite.com has them both.

al-kite-a
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by al-kite-a » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:49 pm

The FLX is light, bombproof and best riding board out there.
Everytime I demo anything else I can't wait to get back to the beach and get back on my board.

This pic from the 1st gen-- 2004-- shows why they don't break.

I do have connection / affiliation.
I loved the board so much I worked with Evan, live2kite, and Underground to create the Undergate last year.
It was originally a project so that I could get the board exactly the way I wanted it but it turned into a product that live2kite sells.

I am finishing up working on the new graphics now.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:16 pm

As impressive as the truck demo is, isn't the repeated flexing what causes the weakening and failure? Not saying UG is bad, just may not be a real world measure of durability. I have a Stretch custom that is bomb-proof and have hucked it pretty high and landed it really hard about a thousand times. I have also recently acquired a UG FLX and hope it lasts as well!

The only board I ever broke (except for about 25 poleboards and 2 snowboards) was a Slingshot Misfit with the silver top and the FORMICA bottom. Yeah, Formica. NOT a countertop I guess.
Go bigga'

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:05 pm

I'll make you one. Let me go ask Chip to see if he can break it, then i will sell it to you.

Kite Adventures
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Kite Adventures » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:57 am

Aggression boards are awesome. Not sure EXACTLY what you are looking for, but they're really big on the east coast, and ride amazingly smooth.
Check out kiteforum for related topics...

zgur
Resident
Resident

Boards

Post by zgur » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:59 am

Hello Blackbird - "take these broken wings and learn to fly"

Try the Amundson boards. They are, in my never to be humble opinion, the best TT on the water today. They just do everything well. Glide really smooth, turn really well, pop great, absorb chop......

Don't get me started on directionals for waves......I have a quiver of 3 (2 epoxy and 1 Glass)......

As it's a custom board, John can do any layup you want, including extra carbon/glass to make it more bomber.....

As you know, I am a big boy (>200#, although dropping due to the toothless diet, hard to eat when you don't have front teeth ;-) and ride hard. Land waaayyy too flat many times.....All boards will break when landed flat enough times.

For 100% disclosure, I broke my Amundson a few weeks ago. Keep in mind that it had about 70 days of VERY hard riding by me, including learning POWERED unhooked moves and big jumps with flat landings. Really flat in the early part of my learning, less so later on.....The board actually broke when I landed from a transition jump on top of a piece of chop - there was some stress there to begin with. In addition, many people at SI rode the board as a "demo" board, and I can't vouch for what type of abuse/love the board got.....

To make a long story short, John is making me another board, free of charge!!!! This is incredible customer service, as I simply punished the board, and did not expect this from him. Stoked on this. Would have been happy to pay for another one.

There is a reason you see so many of his boards on the beach at SI - They rock!!!

Here is the link http://www.amundsoncustoms.com/MainFramset.html

I have not financial ties to John, just love the boards and like to spread the stoke with my fellow riders.

BTW - Dewey loaned me his UG FLX (dude you are too cool!!!!), and that board is sweet for a production board.

Gets some, Z.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:20 pm

Is it just me or does it look like the fins on their boards angle inwards a little bit? I wonder why you would want that.

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:41 pm

We have been selling and using various boards for different conditions this year, but these are the 3 boards that we are super stoked so far:

2006 Underground FLX 132x39.
Super strong board, very light, very smooth all around, with great pop, and good and soft landing. A bit slow when it rides due to the double concave but carves very well and goes upwind like nothing else. This is the 3rd year that I have been riding FLXs and these boards are exactly what I need!

When I had both legs in action about a month ago, on a 128 Undergate FLX

From my recent trip to the homeland (Greece) / on one of the 2000 islands - 128 Undergate FLX holding sick edge on 28-30mph winds on the RRD HiR 13m RRD (zipped)

2006 Brunotti Pro-X .
This board is not for everyone. I saw an add on the Brunottis that said "if it's good for Ruben it's good for you". Anyway, if you are into powered up tricks and need a board that is fast, with super pop, which can land with full speed then this is the board. Ruben makes them look so good, but so does Youri who won PKRA in Fuerteventura 2 weekends ago. The board is flexy, strong, has a sick edge and pops like no other! It's made in Austria at the snowboard factory and it's using the complete 3D construction, on the wood core. I saw a version of this board with clear top and bottom to expose the wood details and the construction looks insane with the carbon strings running diagonally on the wood. Very impressive.

The sizing is perfect for freestylers:
128x37, 128x38.5, 128x40.

Ruben sending it during a photoshoot earlier this year.

Ruben making his gear looking very good! - Well, he is the top freestyler

2006 RRD FourX XXXX 132x38
This is almost the marriage between the Underground FLX 2006 and the Pro-X 2006. Carves insane, holds the rail really strong, it has soft edges and pops sick. It has the custom construction look and the assymetric fins which make it ride faster than the FLX. We have it on special these days so it makes a super value for a high performance board

The RRD FourX in Action 1

The RRD FouX in Action 2

We have all of the above available to demo'ing - to - purchase option for anyone interested.

Enjoy the weekend everyone. It looks like it will be a windy one!

Evan
:(