Brand spanking new

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Endlestorm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Brand spanking new

Post by Endlestorm » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:39 pm

I've been in the water with my board at Alameda twice now (post-lessons)and feel like I'm learning quickly enough. I live in Berkeley: How are the little beaches down by Emeryville/the highway for beginners? The wind is pretty much onshore a lot of the time which seems difficult. Also, where else should I be going while I'm still so fresh? The wind hasn't been blowing at Alameda all weak and I'm starting to get the shakes.
-Britt

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:22 pm

Sorry dude stay at Alameda. Going to Berkeley that soon is not the best way to make friends. Regardless how bad the shakes are a newbie at Berkeley is a danger to other and future access.

It's all about making the right decisions.
Dewey

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:29 pm

And 2006 is not turning out to be the best year to get a lot of sessions in no matter where you kite...weekend forecast is bleak.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

Endlestorm
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Endlestorm » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:55 pm

Thats what I thought. Don't worry, I won't come get in your way.

downwind
Contributor
Contributor

Post by downwind » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:47 pm

Third is next after Alameda. You will need to be able to stay up-wind to enjoy yourself there, and you will eventually pay some dues. Know how to self rescue, stay up-wind and come in when there are less than 5 kites on the water until you really know what you are doing.

Also know that you will probably do some hard learning at 3rd about what happens when the wind dies, how to swim with your kite, etc., but when you are done with Alameda that's the next spot.

--aaron

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:30 pm

Lower tides can make things a bit better....but I would not advise...

Stick to Alameda tell you get a solid handle of all the basics. (self-rescue, body drag up wind, solid side to side riding in powered up conditions, good kite controll on land...)
Go easy Grass-Hopper, why not wait tell you can take these pebbles from my hand....
Limm

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:43 pm

"The wind hasn't been blowing at Alameda all weak and I'm starting to get the shakes."

reminds me of the beggining--- virginity is so wonderfull!, and the little Froidian slip after Alameda is so perfect too.
Enjoy!!!
L.M.G.

teg296
Joey
Joey

Post by teg296 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:19 am

Hi all,

I am also a novice to the sport. Have had about 8 hours out on the water. I am moving to Berkeley from NYC in a week and am just now shopping for gear - if you guys have a minute, could you comment on how fitting the equipment is for Alameda?

I was thinking of a 11m or 12m bow kite (as the medium kite in my future quiver - I flew and liked the Ocean Rodeo 12m and Slingshot Diesel 12m) with a 140-155cm board (the wider the better). Would you think that would get me through the first few sessions untill I am comfortable to surf more advanced spots liked 3rd Ave?

Also, in terms of a wetsuit, should I go 3/2 or 4/3?

I really appreciated and thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I look forward to meeting you all.

Thom

kitedancer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitedancer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:35 am

Hello Thom,

Welcome to the Bay Area!

Alameda is a light wind spot and a great place to kite as a beginner.
The size of kite depends on your weight. Bow kites give you more range of wind, so that may be the best bet for you. Just make sure the kite you buy will be able to fly in light wind.

I bought too small of a kite for Alameda last year, and it was frustrating!

Hope this helps, Lisa

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 am

If you are average weight and get a bow, 12 may be too small for Alameda. But for light wind IMO you have to start with the right board, and not default to a huge kite. Light wind boards are also easy to ride, and it will speed up your learning. You can also build one yourself cheap.