The right thing to do?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
The right thing to do?

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:11 pm

Looking for some advice on a recently purchased used board.

I bought a board about a month or so back from someone on one of the kiteboarding sites. Paid good $$ for it. Then today a fellow kiter said he recognized it as a friends. I think he said the board was lost.

I typically don't inquire into past history of merchandse purchased on line since I trust most folks. Now the thought of purchasing a board which may have been lost (or worse stolen) by someone else sucks! Maybe he tried to locate the owner, but don't know.

Looking into trying to contact the guy. But what then? Should I try to get my money back from the seller (which I wouldn't realistically expect to happen)? Or do I try to find the rightfull owner and return it? If so I am out about $350!

Any advice out there?

Thanks.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:24 am

Do what you know in your heart is right.

Perhaps contact the first owner and be sure it's their board. Tell the seller about the dilemna. Tell the first owner the facts as you know them. If the seller won't relinquish the windfall, ask the first owner if they could reimburse you for your cash outlay. At least you made the valiant effort-- if no one can make you whole then maybe it's "finders keepers"?

Also, who's more needy? If you're a Heinz family heir and the first owner is a struggling student, just give 'em the darn thing! I think I may have gotten a B+ in Ethics 101 so I'm sure I've overlooked something!
Go bigga'

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:30 am

Good advise. Certainly don't want the bad karma hanging over my head if I can help it (since I need all the help I can get in the H20).

I'm not a Heinz heir otherwise would buy new and have the latest quiver (why stop at one board). This was a significant chunk of cash for me.

Thanks again.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:29 pm

Ditto what Dave said. If everyone is cool no problems. If nobody will pay you back then it's your board and you will have good karma for trying to set it right. You shouldn't be out for this. Always as many questions as you can before you buy used.

Dewey

Is the guy sure that it's his friends board???
Dewey

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:35 pm

Thanks. I met with the guy who lost it and he didn't seem entirely sure that it was his board - seemed to come down to decal recognition and some new decals may have been slapped on. Beyond this, and in the absence of a distinuishing SN or ID, it is hard to identify for sure. Nevertheless, doesn't appear I would be reimbursed by either party. Next time will ask more questions. But where does one stop... ask for a receipt? I don't like to cast those suspicions.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:58 pm

That board is yours! No name, no phone number, no sure identification. Ride it-- if it was his, he would have recognized it I'm guessing. (You may want to write your name and number on it so if someone ever finds it...)
Go bigga'

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:40 am

I agree -- no name on board, then the board is yours. If I lost my new board, I don't think I'd be that careful to make sure it was mine if someone called me up and told me they had. "yeah, that scratch right there, I remember that!"

I heading to the garage right now to put my name on my board with a sharpee.
Paul

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:42 am

Speaking of which -- is it okay to write on the bottom of the board, or does the constant contact with water wear off the writing after a while?
Paul

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:43 am

...Although maybe it doesn't matter, since I plan on spending most of my time in the air. =D>

I had to make that joke before someone else did.
Paul