RRD Total Depower Bar

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
RRD Total Depower Bar

Post by jstjohn3 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:00 am

I just started using the TDB, and it requires very heavy bar pressure to turn, and there's a lot of friction in the chicken loop (I have to PUSH the bar out to sheet out). I mean, all the wonderful feeling of quick, light response from my new ZH is sucked in to this bar. Now, I've heard from one person that the chicken loop free's up a bit over time, but what about bar pressure. Is this what the TDB is about? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:16 pm

sounds just like the windwing cc bar. get ready for some serious tendonitis.

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:44 pm

Chris you thought that the CC bar had a lot of pressuer? I got tendonitis when I broke my cc bar, and went to a regular bar.

John I hated the TDB when I first tried it. I couldn't fly the kite right. Four sessions later I love it. I could hold the bar with a couple of fingers. I have to push my bar out to get the depower with the HiR. I flew Bob's type 7 and the depower felt very bow like. I know that Bob tweaked his bar, and messed with the line lenght to get it perfect.

Give it a few sessions, I'm really starting to like it.
Dewey
Dewey

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:42 pm

I was miserable with the CC bar, the tendons in my elbows would normally last an hour before requiring serious rest. However, I think it may have also been the kite/bar combination. When I flew the Rage with the North bar at SI, I started feeling the pressure in my biceps...something that I didn't feel after several hours on the Vegas.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:07 pm

Why totally depower the most powerful whipping kites known to man?
Go bigga'

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jstjohn3 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:24 pm

fearlu wrote:Why totally depower the most powerful whipping kites known to man?
It was the only damn bar I could get with my ZH10.

narly1
Regular
Regular

Post by narly1 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:41 pm

john
i like my T.D.B. on my 16m HiR,
makes some more low end.. hench the hevy bar feel... so, the kite needs to pull the bar out of your hands .. to help the sheet n action
(if it starts to pull ,push out a bit)
try ride off the hook more..
let the kite pull you ... off the front lines ..
you can loop wid it.. (push out ,and fiSh ploe.)
Narly1

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:31 pm

The thing I liked about it best was being able to crank the kite across the window screaming fast to go toeside and then kill all the extra power instantly.

I still haven't got my Vegas dialed in on toeside -- I can do it, but it's nowhere near as fluid and fast a ride as it is with the TW/TDB.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:34 pm

Noone said anything about tuning the kite different, either. I mean the ZH wasn't designed to use that bar; maybe you need to add some length to the rear pigtails to take some of the back line pressure off.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

jstjohn3
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by jstjohn3 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:41 am

Bulldog wrote:Noone said anything about tuning the kite different, either. I mean the ZH wasn't designed to use that bar; maybe you need to add some length to the rear pigtails to take some of the back line pressure off.
Yea Paul, that is what has been running through my mind since since it "dawned on me" last night.....seems impossible that the bar pressure would be affected by the depower system. I'll try it today at Sherman. C'mon BABY!!!

Thanks to all who have helped me address this so far. Any more ideas or experiences with the TDB are grieviously welcomed.