pro wake boarder new to kiteboarding

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:14 pm

Go to a windy spot and learn on a trainer. Learning on a 12m kite is an aweful idea. Really. KWS will let you borrow one for FREE. Remember the humble comments above???

berrisbob
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by berrisbob » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:21 pm

swerv_on,

If you want to get a 12m kite for use on the water, that's fine. Once you learn how to ride you should be able to use it often around this area.

But, do not ever try to use the 12m as a trainer kite on land! For one thing, a 12m kite is useless as a trainer. It will not teach you any kite skills that can be applied to the water. That's what a trainer kite is for. I suggest a 1m to 3m foil trainer kite. They're pretty cheap, and even long after you start riding your 12m in the water, you can use the trainer to pull you around on your skateboard to boot.

Secondly, trying to use a 12m kite on land, especially on, in between, or anywhere near hills, with the inevitable flaky, gusty wind, and trees, power lines, etc., is like playing russian roulette. Really, I'm not kidding. Just don't do it, ever.

Welcome to kiteboarding. We're all anxious to see you out on the water tearing it up :mrgreen:

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:36 pm

go to kitewindsurf for a lesson. They even have the liquid force boards and kites to check out... plus a free trainer.... I instruct there and can say that 90% of the lesson has to do with managing the kite....not the board...

swerv_on
Contributor
Contributor

Post by swerv_on » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:52 pm

o i nobout being humble ive just flow huge a** kites here in the past, and i wasnt sure if it would cary over to this cause i have noidea how much lift these things generate so im just trying to understand better, im stuck here from and mcl tear so i have nothing else to do but ponder stuff liek that and once again im on a tight budject so im looking for ways to save money

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:17 pm

start with a lesson
rapid progression
will show..

sure we all love fly'n
but..
we're tired of die'n
see'n are bro's flown away..

these arnt the dayz
NO smoken purple haze

give this your full atttention!

kite'n so fly
soon you'll try

the sickest KGB..

you'll find you can bust so much air
you'll have time to spare
doulble the mobe..
If you got it in you?

but this sport a'bout kites
is filled with earthly delights
just,..
wait tell the sess'n is over!

so thats the score
we want you back for more
NO play'n the class clown, you fool..

enjoy, L.M.G.

Fassn8
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fassn8 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:41 pm

swerv_on,

I'm new to the sport too, in fact I took my lessons from Andy (posted above). The last bit of advice I'd give you is to do your first few sessions (AFTER your lessons) at Alameda. The beach there is the most forgiving launch in the area. 3rd Ave is full of rocks and short if you can't stay up wind. Sherman isn't the best beginner spot either unless you do the downwinders (but please dont do them without boat support at first). At Alameda you can launch while standing in the water, and limit the risks to yourself or anybody else. Then just head downwind along the beach until you've had enough, wrap up your lines and walk back to the launch (kite in hand, not in the air). You can do several long runs in one day.

It won't be long until you're boosting some big air.

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:49 am

ok if you really want to save money here's how you do it....

hang out at sherman island for a few weekends and be REALLY nice to the 2 groups that own schools there. There's Nat at Edge kiteboarding and a couple of people at Kitopia. See if you can work out some sort of barter w/ the kite school owners.

Also, help launch and land people's kites on the beach and ask lots of questions. The locals have infinite wisdom and will share it if you're friendly enough. Although listening to them talk is not the same as experience, it will help you learn faster. In addition, lots of people (myself included) own trainer kites, and would be happy to let you use them in exchange for helping out on the beach or some other good karma activity.

Everybody's telling you that you need to take lessons, but lessons are expensive, plain and simple. If you really don't have money and want to get into kiteboarding, it's going to be tough. In my experience, the kite schools there are nice. If you're honestly enthustiastic and broke, they might work something out w/ you.

Essentialy, be somebody's bitch so you don't have to pay for lessons.

Goodluck. Once you learn to kite, you'll be better than half the people on the water...

B.

qldman
Joey
Joey

Post by qldman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:58 pm

Yeah grab a lesson, I reckon it pays to have a look at some of the great info on the web. give you a good feel for the terms, when to expect etc..

also use the right gear wakeboarding ger is designed for wakeboaridng. you'll enjoy it much better with teh right gear.
-----

Qld Man

the wetsuit holds the bits togeather.

check out great info on my kiting blog
http://kiteboarding-kitesurfing.blogspot.com/

al-kite-a
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by al-kite-a » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:03 am

Qldman
just check out your blog and found a video from my winter kiting spot on it.
Cartagena Colombia.
Love the local talent, the ones without the kites. :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKFM-6RqBTM

swerv_on
Contributor
Contributor

Post by swerv_on » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:19 pm

Fassn8, your advice of riding downwinders a couple of times and just walking up the beach sounds cool but how long is the beach there(yes that sounds stupid) because id like to be able to stay up for a while and then ride back up in a boat(which can be eranged) also what size waves are out off of alameda

kitebored, i love the idea and yes im definetly pinching pennies to get started so your recomendation sounds excellent, and im used to being the helper bitch type of person cause thats how i got my start in wakeboarding so thx again