SURF ... a new way

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
SURF ... a new way

Post by ricki » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:08 pm

Blane Haleiwa

Kiteboarders are trying out a new way of gliding over the water and grabbing waves. It is a great way to develop board skills while crossing-training in a solid workout offshore. It is new but also very old, brought about by the surf riders in the Pacific long ago. It has recently exploded in Hawaii, again, and now is moving outward to other parts of the globe.

Standup paddleboarding, standup surfing, "Beach-Boy" Style surfing, Hui O He'e Nalu, it goes by many names but what is it? I recently put that question to John Bendon of Maui, HI. John is the son of Jim Bendon, the man who introduced me to kitesurfing in the summer of 1998 in the BVI.

continued at ...

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZED IMAGES

CLICK HERE FOR THUMBNAIL IMAGES

doubledogdare
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by doubledogdare » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:14 pm

Yeah, I hear Its a MAJOR workout. Last time I was in Maui I saw Laird Hamilton standup paddling past kite beach!

ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ricki » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:59 pm

doubledogdare wrote:Yeah, I hear Its a MAJOR workout. Last time I was in Maui I saw Laird Hamilton standup paddling past kite beach!
It sure can be especially early on and in waves. Best advice is to start in flat water for short sessions and work your way up. Have guys in the Bay area been standup paddle surfing?

ricki
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ricki » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:09 pm

Marlon Lewis poses with one of the family standup paddle surfboards

I just received some more info on custom and production standup paddle surfboards and a lot of photos from Jimmy Lewis. The photos and details appear at:

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZED IMAGES

CLICK HERE FOR THUMBNAIL IMAGES