ALAMEDA BEACH CLOSURE!

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Greg
Old School
Old School
ALAMEDA BEACH CLOSURE!

Post by Greg » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:46 am

Dear Kiters,
Please be aware Alameda is going to be PACKED with public beach users on the 4th of July. The past has proven SAFE kiting on the 4th is basicly impossable due to hundereds and hunders ,sometimes even THOUSANDS of beach users (sun-bathers, swimmers and SMALL CHILDREN) flocking in from around the bay....
I ask your cooperation in maintaining future access by not attempting to kite Alameda in the 4th.
BE AWARE: I will be walking up and down the beach (cell phone and camra in hand) several times during the day to help insure ANY/ALL kiters maintain a REASONABLE SAFTY ZONE: thats 200 feet MINUMUM from ANY beach user! Those found in violation of our VOLUNTARY Safty Zone Policy will be reported to local athorities ON THE SPOT! Futhermore, I will be taking notes and photos of EVERY VIOLATION/ VIOLATOR I find and turning them over to the head of the Parks Dept.
VOLUNTARILY abiding to a NO-FLY policy on the 4th of July you will be helping maintain unfettered access to this heavly used and highly prized launch site.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation,
L.M.G. Gregory Boyington

busski
Contributor
Contributor

Post by busski » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:28 am

As a newbie, thanks for the heads up. I think it's a great idea to keep it mellow over the 4th and maybe watch ze Gerrrrrrmans play footie instead

I think the advice to stay away from alameda on the 4th counts double for those of us who can't stay upwind.

Just a word of advice: Watch the grump. I'm sure it'll lead to some hard feelings/flame on the site and in person. And reporting to the police/EBMPD is exactly what will lead to us losing our access to the beach. Remember, you don't own the beach either.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:16 pm

Can I fly my glass covered lines on my blade foil? I figure if the speedo doesnt scare em away, the screeching kite will!

Kidding kidding, relax. The only toy to touch the water this weekend will be my air mattress and a tall brunette(to clarify, she is not inflatable)

I will probably pitch a tent in the sherman parking lot instead this weekend. HUH huh, he said pitch a tent!

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:55 pm

I dont think I own the beach.. It's EVERYBODYS!

I'm only going to TRY to protect access to Alameda for future kiters by helping clear out ANY problems BEFORE they unfold...
I have PUBLICLY stated before and will say again, "IF' kiters insist on indangering the public, be it man, women, OR CHILD, I will activly work to restrict kiting". If the net result is I become very unwelcome at every beach in the world or if 20 or more kiters, that never caused a problem, take me out back and beat the hell out of me, slash my kites and leave me for dead-- so be it....
PLEASE BELIEVE, I dont want to play hard-ball with anyone, BUT I simply cant stand by and ideally allow kiters to indanger others either by choice or total mistake.

Alameda is a public beach, we HAVE to be respectfull!
Simply put, The 4th is NOT OUR DAY!
Thanks,
Greg

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:32 pm

Anyone who thinks you have ulterior motives for doing this is nuts, LMG. You're giving up a day of kiting to help the future of our sport.

Bravo. =D>

Hey, there wouldn't happen to be any bikini-clad ladies amongst those thousands of beachgoers, would there... :wink: As a kite addict, this might be your one chance to meet a single girl while on the beach.
Paul
aka Pablito
It says 10M, but it's really a 9.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:15 pm

Same is true at Sherman, Just stay home, drink and set off fireworks and handguns will 'ya?

I'm independent and hope you are too!
Go bigga'

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:15 pm

I've got 4 fresh banana clips for my machine gun, I'm going to have a BLAST!!

Really, I'm not looking to bumm anyones day here. I've just learned the hard way that only a zero tolerance policy has even the slightest chance of success. One year I went down the beach telling kiters not to go and several tryed anyway. Then this one Euro newbie guy wraped his kite around several kids wading about 50 feet off the shore, this slob didnt have a clue! It couldnt have been blowing much more then 5 mph so thankfully the kids didnt get rope burned. Man I was SOOoo PISSED I wanted to wrape that SOB's lines around his neck and strangle that Mother F#@*er to death!! When I started pointing at all the people around him with the vains in my neck starting to bulge out he wized up.

Bulldog, I meet hot gals at Alameda all the time. The problem is that I always fall asleep before my girl and I dont want to become the next Mr. Bobit!

I really hope you ALL have fun somewhere!!! I'll be here watching out for the kiddies tell I'm sure it's game over,
Greg

Don Bogardus
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Don Bogardus » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:58 am

I Agree with LMG, and further suggest: since the beach will have many
exceptionally crowded days to come, (especially when it is warm and
windy at the same time), EVERYONE that kites here in the next few
months should really try to step up watching out for dangerous behaviour,
and politely when possible correct it, and if that does not work, get a
group of kiters to "encourage" safe practise in a more "attention getting
sort of manner".
I think high tides are especially dangerous when beach goers are
present in higher numbers,... coming CLOSER than 200 feet from shore to
transition out again, should be discouraged strongly during those
conditions!.
ONE SERIOUS INJURY ACCIDENT to other people enjoying the beach, and
ITS OVER!. Protect your OWN privelidge to kite here by stewarding
those that may be unaware, (of their surroundings).

I am on the beach every day, and will do my part.

LionKite
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by LionKite » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:59 am

Don`t you have anything else to do than walk up and down Crown Beach on 4th july...
Good thing for us you don`t know how to use a cell phone or a camera you moron...

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:32 am

LionKite,
THATS A GREAT QUESTION!!! What else "CAN" I do??
You got me thinking...Humm, I may be so bored due to the TOTAL LACK of UNRESPONCIBLE kiters that I MIGHT be able to spend more of MY TIME picking up trash and rocks and other stuff spread out on OUR BEACH...
If anyone else shows up and wants to HELP I'd be happy bring an extra garbage bag.
Have a great day,
Greg Boyington

BTW: Where EXACTLY is Waves? I might want to come play with you...

To the VAST kiting population,
Remember it's just one day, WE HAVE hundreds of others....
Enjoy,
L.M.G.