Bowverconfidence

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:52 am

Yeah, I saw plenty of people out on 12's so I know I wasn't over rigged. I really think that there was something up with the bridle to cause it to lose shape because the LE was plenty hard.

kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:56 am

dewey wrote:Karl your kite was acting a bit weird when you were flying it near the back launch. It looked like something was up. I think I even told you to get it to the beach. All the waroo's I have seen look super stable in the air. Your's was kind of twichy. I don't think it's inherant in the kite.

BTW I thought the guy with the Arc was trying to out do your little drag when he launched his kite in the back launch. Straight down wind leading to a 50 yard sprint/drag. He stopped just before the tables. There was a large group watching to see the carnage.
Yeah, I agree it was twitchy and that's what leads me to believe that something is up with the bridle. Any further thoughts?

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:59 am

You needed a hold-down from your cat, that's all.

(Or Pablito's dog.)
Go bigga'

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:12 pm

The folks at the best forum recommend pumping the kite very hard. One guy says put all your weight on the pump, and he is heavier than me. Pressure on other bows does not apply directly to this kite.

A couple of other things:
Bridle modification. Reduces flatter when the kite is depowered, and less funny stuff. Pretty important if you want to push the kite to the top end, but good anyway.
Hold bar in. Too much slack + gust and the kite will hindenburg straight down. Pretty embarrassing when it happens and potentially sketchy situation. Can be reduced by a stopper, but not completely eliminated. On the beach you have to watch it. This is a difference from other bows.

Bulldog
Old School
Old School

Post by Bulldog » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:16 pm

Karl, dude, quit pimping Best on this site. We all know you're just trying to convince us to all go out and buy Waroos. :mrgreen:

kitekarl
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitekarl » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:12 pm

elli wrote:The folks at the best forum recommend pumping the kite very hard. One guy says put all your weight on the pump, and he is heavier than me. Pressure on other bows does not apply directly to this kite.

A couple of other things:
Bridle modification. Reduces flatter when the kite is depowered, and less funny stuff. Pretty important if you want to push the kite to the top end, but good anyway.
Hold bar in. Too much slack + gust and the kite will hindenburg straight down. Pretty embarrassing when it happens and potentially sketchy situation. Can be reduced by a stopper, but not completely eliminated. On the beach you have to watch it. This is a difference from other bows.
As mentioned it was pumped real hard and I was maintaining rear line tension in an effort to prevent the backdrafting that happened. Mine was over serial #10,000 so it had the bridle mod already done. I know that it had very different characteristics from other bows because my xbow never even got close to doing this. In any case, it's going back to Best today anyway. Life's too short to fly sketchy kites. It's too bad because it was a fun kite to fly.

zgur
Resident
Resident

How cool would it be...

Post by zgur » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:18 pm

To just walk into the shop where you purchased the kite and deal with it on the spot???? less time off thewater, mo betta.

I have nothing against best, just want to keep my local kite shops open and doing well....

Get some, Z.

ramsey
Resident
Resident

Post by ramsey » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:38 pm

I've been flying waroo's all this season. Maybe some of you have seen me out there with a pink and black 12m.

Couple things.

I've noticed that they fly and relauch slightly better when pumped ridiculously hard. LMG is absolutely right though it will reduce the life of your kite significantly. I have already gone through a my 12m and my girlfriend has popped a bladder on her 7m.

moral of the story..... just pump it enough so that it doesn't bend at the center if you value your kites. The kite shouldn't deform mid-air even when the kite is low on air. (I've flown the 12m while the leading edge was deflating.)

Is your rigging right? The waroo flies best on the 3rd from the last knot. It is very stable there and has tons of de-power. I've flown my 12m in maui in over 25 for an entire day no problem. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone ( i weigh over 250lbs). I've noticed if you use either of the last knots the kite flies really funny.

My girlfriend flies her's on the 2nd knot and she seems to do alright. I have seen her very overpowered before and the kite tends to luff a bit, but it is still stable.

I am in the process of replacing my 12 because the seams are coming undone. It is no problem. I just sent pictures and they sent a new kite. If there's something wrong with the kite you should have no problem sending it back to Best for a replacement.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:41 pm

Karl make sure the mod is done. I was trying to figure out if mine was done by a serial number, and couldn't. I am not sure about over 10K serial rule, the best guys never said it loud and clear. Mine is fairly recent, and I had to do it. Kite is much nicer after the mod. A shop I talked to said they even do it a few CM further.

baykiter12
Joey
Joey

Post by baykiter12 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:06 pm

Karl, I am the other kiter who had problems with the 14m Waroo at Sherman this past saturday, and would like to discuss this off-line if you have a minute. And I also would like to thank the kiters who helped last weekend and apologize to the other kiters in the launch area.