Lessons learned

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
zgur
Resident
Resident
Lessons learned

Post by zgur » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:55 pm

I'm sharing my story in hope that others learn from my experience and don't make the same mistake.

I was having an epic session on the coast last week. I dropped my kite and washed into the beach where I self landed the kite on the sand. I was in the water. The kite came to a complete resting position, facing the wind and no power was in the lines. I decided to walk up one line - much like I used to w/4line kites, to put some sand on the kite. I did not want my lines to get messed up in the surf.

A gust of wind came and launched the kite HOT into the power zone. The line in my left hand become a sharp razor and cut my skin off 3 fingers (yes, I'm typing this with 1 hand and it's taking forever). I'm lucky that only skin was taken off - quite painful, not as bad as getting hit by a Ford Expedition though ;-). 2-3 weeks of down time while I re-grow my skin back.

Total bonehead move on my part. I was too relaxed after a long and wonderful wave session.

Lessons learned:
1. When self landing kite, never walk up any lines other then 5th line. EVER.
2. After the kite has landed, detach yoursefl from kite and run to it and place some sand on kite, then deal w/lines.
3. Realize that after long sessions, your judgement may be a bit clouded.
4. Have a good first aid kit in your car (thanks to the So. Cal bros who did have one and helped me, and Gabe for helping me bring my stuff to the car and remove my wesuit)....I used to have a pimped out kit, which was stolen with my truck, and I have not replaced it until yesterday.
5. Have clean water in your car so you can clean wounds.

I hope that others do learn from my mistake.

BTW, I think I am all done for the year. They say bad things happen in 3's: my truck stolen, hit by a car and rip skin off fingers. I'm good to go for a while. Looking forward to getting back on the water soon.

Get some, Z.

sflinux
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by sflinux » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:48 pm

Hi Z,
Glad you are all right.

One trick the arcusers use, after self landing their kites in high winds is:
-heavily bury your board in the sand (jam the nose in the sand, so it is pointed towards the kite, then weigh down the nose with sand)
-attach your leash to your board. [or find another stationary object to attach your leash to]
-then quickly and carefully walk the leash line, with yourself situated upwind of your lines.

Things to look out for:
-walk upwind of your lines
-Don't get tangled in your lines,
-let go of your lines if they power up, and look out for a flying board.

p.s. if the 5th line gets tangled, it can be heavily powered up too (I had one saw through the grips on my bar, and through a stopper ball, and was thankful that it was not my finger.)

And I'll say happy new year to Z in advance.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:19 pm

Hey Z..gnarly wound indeed! Hope you're getting better. Definitely hit a few lips for you over the past week!

Couple things:
Watching what happend from the parking lot and then while running down the beach, I could add only a couple suggestions for people to consider when in similar situations.

1. Allways unhook from the kite completely before it lands.
2. Never pull a line...rather, run up it with a lose grip.

Z...I've made the same bonehead mistakes after such a good session as Wednesday. Sometimes after getting out of the 3D water, you forget that the kite demands as much respect as the ocean...glad it wasn't any worse.

Get well soon.

PS...I also got a new first aid kite the very next day.
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:52 pm

Jeez Z what a bummer! I heard you had some serous injury resulting in loosing something... glade your going to be all right!
Get well soon,
Greg

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:04 pm

Bad to hear.

Something very similar happened to a friend of mine. Finger cut by a line, surgery and long therapy to put it back. I think it was pretty deep and was much more than skin.

Definitely never run up the line in your hand. When I mountain board I have gloves, so I sometimes do that, but even then only when its very light. A strong pull will probably cut through the glove.

Brics ideas are good too, never walk downwind of the lines. If your leg tangles as you walk you might kick the kite via the line.

Ditto on the first aid kit and water in the car. Good idea in general.