Getting on the Board

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Rascal
Contributor
Contributor
Getting on the Board

Post by Rascal » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:01 pm

In a previous post I mentioned how I am using short simple trigger words and imagery to learn basic kite skills. Basically I make a short mental list of steps in the process, and then I go through them in a 1,2, 3 type way ... sounds rather touchy feely, I know, but its helping me. This is something I learned by playing sports at a reasonably high level, what they teach you is to breathe out to clear your mind, have a trigger word, and then act on it without thinking. I am a reasonable natural athlete but am finding kiting very hard to learn, it might be age, but having a checklist is helping me get some basics down.

A few people contacted me out of band to find out about getting onto the board so I thought I would share what I use whatever its worth:

0 >>> GETTING SET:

- Prior to getting up you need to get the kite into the neutral position.
- The neutral position has your feet, knees, and hands all in a line with the kite at 12.
- Take your left hand and put it in the left edge of the bar to keep the kite in control.
- Grab your board by the right foot strap, put your left foot in, then your right foot in. Donít turn your body to much or this will move the kite, so focus on keeping your belly still.
- Wiggle your toes to make sure you are all the way in.
- If you are slightly off centre you can move the kite or push with your foot to square yourself up. Its remarkable how sensitive the kite is to differing pressure of your feet so play with this to get a feeling of this relationship.
- Bend your knees as much as possible by pulling your feet towards you.
You are now good to go.

1 >>> PUSH:

- Push hard and push with the other hand to dip the kite.
- Ideally, you want the kite to make a little vertical dip down from 12:00 towards what would be just to the right of the center of the clock.
- The reason this step is the push step is that most beginners (myself especially) have a tendency to try and pull themselves out of the water with their arms and this oversheets the kite, and causes us to push our butts out which puts our center of gravity behind our heals and the board shoots forward from under them or skips across the water. By focusing on pushing, you will aggressively dip the kite and keep your posture correct withou.
- Another reason you want to push is that you want the kite to move vertically down into the powerzone just to the right of the center of the clock and not across the top of the clock towards 3. If you move across the top of the clock you wonít generate enough power, but more importantly, when its time to lock the kite into riding position you will be so far across the window that there will be not enough power for your second powerstroke or to get plane.

2 >>> ROLL:

- Remember your knees are bent as much as possible when you are in neutral.
- What you want to do is visualize rolling up onto your feet by focusing on moving your stomach onto the board.
- This will give you a lower center of gravity and allow you to get up with a much smaller power-stroke, and will prevent the scenario we all see where our butts our out and the board skips out from under us.

3 >>> POINT:

- As you feel the power of the kite roll start rolling you onto your board, you want to point your board slightly down wind by straightening the leg of the direction you are going to, and stamping down with your back leg.
- Also point the downwind toe, which will flatten the board onto the water and continue the rolling motion such that the board is now in a good position to plane.

Now you should be up, and can take another quick push pull power-stroke before you lock the kite into the power hour, start to look up wind, and starting edging by making your chest big and looking up wind.

Anyway, best of luck ...
Rascal

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:23 pm

I imagine there is a steak hangin in front of me at all times. When I want to turn, I imagine the steak turning a second before I do in the direction it wants to go.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:10 pm

Imagine a carrot or better yet a winning lotto ticket dangling on a string right in front of your face.

:)

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:27 pm

Can someone finish this explanation of the K.G.B. for me
Start out with taking a SUPER big breath, you might be puking up blood in a few seconds . Now get comfortable with you inner feelings....

Rascal,
Nice explanation!
L.M.G.