Sherman Island Parking

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
GracieMarie
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Open letter to passive aggressive snivelers (sp?)

Post by GracieMarie » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:40 pm

Whoa, Pablito. And this is an open letter to all the swinish shooters who harass the very decent folk that keep Sherman Island nice.

When did commuter kiters=serfs (implying the downtrodden/disadvantaged), and RV owning kiters=landed gentry (implying idle non-deserving rich wankers who revel in hogging as much fun & space).

Fight the power? The Idle Rich Man keepin' the serf-man down?

Where's the Aloha? What up with the veiled threats?

Pabllito's words: "I would also point out that if only one or two new people each year decide it's a great idea to park campers there all week while they're home at work, in another year or two it won't be a question of "tattling", but rather the serfs (commuter kiters) rising up against the landed gentry (trailer owners) and blowing the lid off the situation."

Are we going to slug it out on the playground at recess?

There are selfish people everywhere you go, amigo. If you want a handy visual, get in your car and drive around the Bay Area. Quality wind/wave spots, ballparks, concerts, parking in general, are a first come, first serve thing. Breathe in calm, breathe out anger. Repeat.

Resenting the lucky people who get to park an RV in someplace as gorgeous as Sherman Island won't improve your chances of upgrading your parking spot. At beaches, in cities, etc....and nursing a grudge won't improve your station in life. It just makes you cranky and bums the collective voyage of all of us.

I hope all you wankers will start to feel better because whining is not only ineffective, it is annoying.

Cheers, and happy riding....GracieMarie

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:06 pm

bloody wankers...
chop'm all off at the knees,
L.M.G.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Re: Open letter to passive aggressive snivelers (sp?)

Post by Pablito » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:26 pm

I think you missed my point completely. It was that Sherman is a limited public resource. It used to be a backwater but now it's been discovered. News for ya: Yosemite is a first-come, first-serve, deal, but noone gets to park a trailer there all summer.

I'm not ever going to complain to anyone about anything is happening there. There are lots of rules that noone follows; me included.

I was merely pointing out the obvious fact that the day that there are so many unoccupied RVs and Trailers there that no one else can park, someone is going to complain. I'm guessing that most people understand this, which is why the consensus on this site seems to be "don't park a trailer at Sherman and leave it there." I'm sorry if you didn't like my metaphor; the fact is that there are lots more folks without RVs/Trailers than those with.

In the meantime, I hope to find other great, undiscovered spots in the Bay area -- and share them on this forum. I'm sorry, I thought that was something that would benefit everyone around here who enjoys kiteboarding.

I guess that makes me an annoying wanker. And you the one who is spreading the aloha. I'll expect to find "ALOHA" keyed into my car door the next time I hit Sherman.
Paul

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:31 pm

It wasnt actually my trailer that I was asking about it was for a few of us that thought about renting a space near there and trailering it there the day of use but honestly, as laid back as most people have said the Sherman vibe is, I am getting the vibe I better stick with my own set of problems down here at Alameda. Last thing I need is more Charlie's on my back at a second location. Knowing my luck I will get yelled at for pumping my kite wrong. Kitesurfing has turned into kitepolitics.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Post by OliverG » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:50 pm

GracieMarie wrote:Breathe in calm, breathe out anger. Repeat.

Resenting the lucky people who get to park an RV in someplace as gorgeous as Sherman Island won't improve your chances of upgrading your parking spot. At beaches, in cities, etc....and nursing a grudge won't improve your station in life. It just makes you cranky and bums the collective voyage of all of us.

Cheers, and happy riding....GracieMarie
I don't think Paul was whining, just expressing an opinion which is what we're all entitled to do on this journey of ours called Life. As a trailer owner, my only hope is to land a nice spot for me and mine when I get there. I don't want to have to bring it up a day or two early during the week and leave it unattended in a "good spot" until I can make it up to actually stay. So on that note, I feel it's fair to bring your trailer to Sherman when you are going to be there. Anything else is like putting towels and magazines out at the table by the pool at 8am when you're not going to be there until 10:30am. First come, first serve is fair, right?

I did quote part of Gracie's post because I think some of what she said makes sense and embodies the free spirit of what so much of us like about kiteboarding. So there! You guys know you love the drama sometimes, though. ;)

Have fun on the water this weekend!

Cheers,
Ollie G

consumer
Regular
Regular

Post by consumer » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:05 am

windhorny wrote:It wasnt actually my trailer that I was asking about it was for a few of us that thought about renting a space near there and trailering it there the day of use but honestly, as laid back as most people have said the Sherman vibe is, I am getting the vibe I better stick with my own set of problems down here at Alameda. Last thing I need is more Charlie's on my back at a second location. Knowing my luck I will get yelled at for pumping my kite wrong. Kitesurfing has turned into kitepolitics.
the 12$ a month you quoted was not at the actual park , but down the road some at the "storage" or whatever the hell it is.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:54 pm

Anything else is like putting towels and magazines out at the table by the pool at 8am when you're not going to be there until 10:30am. First come, first serve is fair, right?

That's all I meant. The main thing is to let as many people as possible enjoy the fun. See ya on the water.
Paul