Alleviating Alameda Aggression

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:03 am

no one to blame as it is also part of the probem but clearly to be discussed in another thread.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:14 am

I'll try the new system, actually I've already tryed a few times.
JUST SO YOUR AWARE:
The other day I arrived to kite (the new advanced launch spot) and was getting ready to kite when a cloud of dust sprung up on the other side of the bushes. A kite swung around overhead then quikly slammed into the ground about twenty feet off the bike path. I droped everthing and sprinted over to restrain the kite. After looking around the bushes I could see the guy had been dragged into the bushes head first and someother guy was running to his aid.
I thought about pulling the pull (defalting the kite) but instead I walked away without comment,
L.M.G.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:12 pm

Is that why we need the catchers mit made of barbed wire? Self deflatiion and landing not a problem-just fly your kite right into the barbed wire and voila! I see a patent opportunity here.

Again-it is JANE'S beach. please ask her before making any modifications to the way you walk, breathe, launch land, eat, sleep, talk.

gomez72
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by gomez72 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:16 pm

you walked away without a comment, i don't believe it.
are you sure?

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:35 pm

no comment,
L.M.G.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:42 pm

Here's my comment...

I am going to go alleviate some stress and go kiting at alameda.

timbrink
Joey
Joey

Post by timbrink » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:22 am

who is Jane? Why do we have to ask her? As far as I can tell its a public beach so who ever Jane is, she doesn't own it.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:10 pm

It was a joke from last season! No worries mate.

ETHANol
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ETHANol » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:12 am

Just to give you guys a little perspective. This is the main launch at "kitebeach" Athens, Greece as city of 3.5 million people. This was a few years ago in the off-season so not so many kites. But think of 30+ kites and 100 windsurfers trying to launch from this little streach of road in 30 knotts of gusty side-off wind. So no matter how bad the circus gets at Alemeda, it's still pretty sweet and friendly.

Also have to chime in. Certified instructors are entirely over rated. I've seen so many bad professional aka/ika/iko instructors over the years it's a joke. IKO is a scam. If your friend is a good kites and knows whats up go with him/her. But yes, pick your instructor wisely. It can save you a lot of time, money, and hospital bills you may or may not be around to pay.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:10 am

Ethanal,
THANKS FOR POSTING!!! I hope "they" get the point (pun intended for Alameda kiters not Greecians).
I remember a watching a VERY young kiter getting a lesson one day off a sandy point with lots of little rocks about. The wind was going 4-40mph and for 20 minutes the kids feet never touched the ground. I watched in horror expecting the worst.. The worst didnt happen that day, the lesson finallly ended (the kid was stoked SILLY), the instructor was probably very relieved nothing bad happened (PURE LUCK!!!!!!), I eventually went for a short ride- then the blood started flowing...
I think this deminstrates the old saying "The blind following the blind" pretty well.
Pick your instructor and location well. If I ever figure out how to post photo's to this site I'll send a few of the local wave sites around here.
L.M.G.