Kite surfing at Cron (rodeo beach)

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Moderator: BayAreaKite

Kite surfing at Cron (rodeo beach)

Postby dpca10 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:17 am

I'm new to the kiteboarding scene, but a long time surfer. I was wondering if anyone here has taken a kite out to Rodeo beach (Fort coronkite). I understand that the beach sits in a sort of wind shadow, one of the reasons it is sometimes decent for surfing. But in the hundreds of times i've surfed there in sideshore winds i've never seen a kite surfer out. Might be a little too gusty for tastes. In case anyone wants to attempt it a low tide would be better to avoid the pounding shorebreak effect from a high tide and the step beach. Side onshore 99% of afternoons.
dpca10
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby moblvet » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:29 am

Have kited there with a few others over the years. Really, really gusty, steep shore break makes launch hairy, best wind south end of beach, waves best north end. The rock outcroppings at South end don't lend one a good place to put out, if problems arise. They've eaten a few kites.
moblvet
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Kite surfing at Cron (rodeo beach)

Postby Frappes » Mon May 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Bumping this - anyone have any more recent info about this spot? When is it usually kiteable?
Frappes
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby Jeb Mud » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:50 pm

Ditto on brutal shore break especially on high tide. That's a hard place to surf. I wouldn't want to drop a kite there
Jeb Mud
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Postby victor » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:57 am

I hike there regularly and have only seen kites out twice.

its one of those places that you can go to with something else to do and have your gear in case it's kiteable. The wind has to be just the right angle to fill in. WNW I think. Otherwise the cliffs on both sides cause a lot of turbulence.

There's another beach a little south, Fishermans, that looks good for SW winds although it is a bit of a hike to get to.

I wouldn't want to break down at either place.
victor
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Return to General Kiteboarding Discussion