Alameda Beach Closure

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Hana
Regular
Regular

Post by Hana » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:06 pm

I'm sure you got better by now that you are ready to get out again! It's windy! I know I got out last year when they said someone got pretty bad rashes, I had no problem. But Yuri said it was pretty smelly...

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:12 pm

Hana wrote:I know I got out last year when they said someone got pretty bad rashes, I had no problem.
The rashes last year were something else, it was not sewage spillage. Not the same thing! Sewage can be more harmful than a rash.
The question is how much there is there in the water now.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:51 pm

savebay
Joey
Joey

Post by savebay » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:27 pm

Hi -- Save The Bay is working on getting EBParks to post better signs at Crown Beach so that it's easy to tell when there are high bacteria counts in the water -- whether it's from sewage spills like Tuesday's or other leaks (which can happen any time). We don't want people to get sick in the water.

The bacteria (E. coli, enterococcus, etc.) from sewage spills/leaks can give you flu-like symptoms, skin rashes, ear infections, etc. They do test the water every week; they just hide the results in a tiny little sign at the beach house which has raw data you're supposed to interpret. We want them to put up clear signs to let people know what the results are. So if you've already been sick and want to avoid a repeat, you should be able to just look around you and know what's up with the water.

We're doing a sign-on letter asking them to use better signs and are looking for Crown Beach users to represent! email athena at saveSFbay.org to add your name to the letter. Hoping to have some better signage up before too much of the summer goes by.

cheers!