HELP: The right beg/int gear for SF bay area

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
fctown
HELP: The right beg/int gear for SF bay area

Post by fctown » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:13 am

Hi,
My wife and I just took lessons on Maui and would like to continue with the sport here at home in the SF bay area. We are at the point where we "almost" water start. Guys on Maui could not suggest anything for SF conditions. I'm 6' - 200lb and my wife is 5'9" - 155lb.

- What would be the minimum setup so we can share kites and board(s) for our level for the next 1-2 years?

- What would be the best value options (quality to price)? Should we consider used gear?

- What sizes for kites and board (s) do we need? They are different by brand, right?

I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks,
-Alex

P.S. Any suggestions on wet suite (brand, thinkness, etc.) and the rest of the setup is welcome.

OliverG
Old School
Old School

Re: HELP: The right beg/int gear for SF bay area

Post by OliverG » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:38 pm

I understand that the Maui crew wouldn't be able to offer any suggestions on SF Bay gear. How could they?

It won't be long before the seaon is over, so my personal advice for now (that can be taken with a grain of salt) would be:

-Minimum setup for the two of you (for now): a 12 meter kite and a 150cm board. The 12 may be OK or not quite enough for where you are learning, or even too much! It all depends on where you plan to spend your time learning.

-If you plan to keep at it this year, you may be better off exploring yur used gear options, as it's a buyers market. As you progress and become less prone to the possibility of damaging your gear, then go for new gear.

-The best all around full wetsuit would be a 3/2 wetsuit.

Hope this helps, feel free to post more questions.....

fctown wrote:Hi,
My wife and I just took lessons on Maui and would like to continue with the sport here at home in the SF bay area. We are at the point where we "almost" water start. Guys on Maui could not suggest anything for SF conditions. I'm 6' - 200lb and my wife is 5'9" - 155lb.

- What would be the minimum setup so we can share kites and board(s) for our level for the next 1-2 years?

- What would be the best value options (quality to price)? Should we consider used gear?

- What sizes for kites and board (s) do we need? They are different by brand, right?

I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks,
-Alex

P.S. Any suggestions on wet suite (brand, thinkness, etc.) and the rest of the setup is welcome.