Tips for Self Landing a (SLE) Bow Kite?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
bobbyboom
Regular
Regular
Tips for Self Landing a (SLE) Bow Kite?

Post by bobbyboom » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:37 pm

Sorry if this has been posted before. I tried using the search function but it pretty much turned up every post ever made. :shock:

I am new to kiting and love it like crazy. I'm riding at Alameda and have to do the "walk of shame" until I learn how to go upwind better. Right now I have to walk up the beach with my kite in the air. Although this a great workout for my right leg, I'm looking for a "self landing" technique that works with bows.

What I tried:
I was told to put the kite in neutral and pull the saftey to have the kite depower which works great with 5th lines for sure but didn't on my bow. I tried this and I just about killed myself. The kite powered up and dragged me pretty hardcore. I was able to save it in the end but I don't want to have that happen again. Tips/tricks are welcome. :mrgreen:

Thanks.

-Bobby

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:38 am

the only sure way to do it is to land it in the water and use your leash on your flaging ring. I have seen some people do it other ways but you are risking others on the beach and yourself if you do it wrong.

Don Bogardus
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Don Bogardus » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:34 am

Do you put your bare hand on the flagging ring,
or do you attach a kiteleash to it?.
I tried the attaching kiteleash on School Shockwave,
but it was not possible to reach the ring while flying
the kite, and my arms are long for my size.
Is the ring reachable on TD + crossbow?. :?:

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:45 am

You either have to start with the leash up there or if it is on the chicken loop or anywhere otherthan the flagging ring, you need to fly the kite to the water, then pull the front lines in and hook it there., then un hook/pull safety and wrap up. In light winds I can reliably land the kite by flying it down to the beach and crashing it right.

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:30 pm

You can try this only if you feel comfortable with your kite's behavior...

Fly your kite to the edge of the window while you are standing next to a solid non-movable object that you can attach your chicken loop to... (Ie.. fence post, volleyball pole, bench... etc).... Land the kite at the edge of the window and unhook your chicken loop... attach the chicken loop to the object (use a carabeener, or an extra leash).... take your hand and run it along the top power line as you walk to your kite... IF your kite gets unruly, you can put tension on the upper power line to keep it on the ground, or pull the kite into the leading edge down position...

I use this technique to launch and land... have done it in 30mph wind and 10mph wind... works great if you have your chicken loop secured tightly..... if it comes undone at the chicken loop..... your kite is free.. which is a problem....

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:52 am

I'll start setting steel pipes up and down the beach.

elli
Resident
Resident

Post by elli » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:37 am

Bows are different. Some have front line reride, some back line and so on. What are you using?

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:22 pm

I've "put" the kite down (full-depower on leash) then checked that all was stable and quikly pulled in one of the front lines.
Note: In this condition the kite is "de-powered" totally but still has parasitic drag. Be aware, the accumulation of area or wind volicty adds to the equation of drag considerably. Big kites or high winds are one thing but kites running RATHER LARGE for the conditions can make even a "totally de-powered" kite a real handfull!
Watch your fingers,
L.M.G.