Ozone Kites @ Sherman Island

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Yoda
Resident
Resident
Ozone Kites @ Sherman Island

Post by Yoda » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:33 am

I will be there on Saturday with a 9m, 11m, and a 13m.

Come out and take a test flight on what's being touted as one of the best hybrid kites out this season.

For all you hardcore C kite aficionados... you should give the Instinct a go. Word has it, once you dial in the trim, it feels (and behaves) very simular to a C kite. The key is setting the trim for that C feel!!!

Good Winds
Mark

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:46 am

Yoda, thanks again for letting me demo the 9. That kite is the best bow yet. Hope you guiys get that swivel on there soon. Thats a lot of lines to get twisted. But super stable, fast-of course all 9's are- perfect bar pressure, great range, I like the bar feel alot. GOZONE!

wavie_gravie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wavie_gravie » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:48 am

what time

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:47 am

Well I made it out to SI around noon. The winds at that point were light and most kiters were either out flying on 14m or bigger or just waiting around for it to pick up.

The day turned out to be not bad and many got a chance (some many chances) to test fly the Instinct. About a dozen kiters got a chance to go fly the Instinct and all came back with a smile. Some industry people like Chip and his wife Marsula (sorry if I miss-spelled) from Ultra Nectar and Jonathan from Mystic got a chance to fly the Instinct and came back stoked. Everyone had very positive feedback and many said it was the most fun kite they had flown. Some said it was definately the best "bow style" kite that they had flown.

We had the 13m and the 11m up and they were having no trouble with being under-powered. The common statement was the sizing seemed wrong for how much power it had. Our 13m's power is roughly equalivient to a 15-16m bow or a 18m C kite, so I guess you could interpret it as being the wrong indicated size.

Over all the demo was awesome and several are now considering the Instinct as possibly a contender for purchasing when it came to getting a new "hybrid" style kite.

I have to give credit to Ozone for coming to the market with a water specific kite and to have it be performing beyond anyone's expectations. For a kite mfg that has dominated the snow and land scene to successfully produce a kite that has the performance and feel to rival many of the etablished water kites (both bow and C style kites), along with quality Ozone conctruction, makes this kite a strong contender amonst all of water kite mfgs. It's On!!!

Good Winds,
Mark

simplelife
Joey
Joey

Post by simplelife » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:57 am

What is the low-end of the 11m comparable to? typical 12bow or 14 ckite?

cheers

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:41 pm

simplelife wrote:What is the low-end of the 11m comparable to? typical 12bow or 14 ckite?

cheers

I been told it's equivalent to a 13-14m bow and a 15-16m C.

All of the Instincts have been touted to have a really good low end.

Let me know your weight... I can maybe give you a better answer.

Good Winds
Mark

simplelife
Joey
Joey

Post by simplelife » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:58 am

Hi Yoda,

I'm 82 kg, Glide and 137/40. Looking to replace 15,11,9 Ckites. Would love to go to one kite for a while, especially for travel.

Cheers

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:55 pm

simplelife wrote:Hi Yoda,

I'm 82 kg, Glide and 137/40. Looking to replace 15,11,9 Ckites. Would love to go to one kite for a while, especially for travel.

Cheers
From the info I have from Ozone; for an individual at your weight with a 130x40 board, the 11m Instinct should be perfect in 12-28mph winds. You said your board was a 137, so you may be able to stretch this wind range a bit. You're right on the border-line for the 13m due to your weight (for the same given wind range and board size), but I feel the 11m would the best choice if you plan to buy only one kite. I'll let you know if the 13m will be better for you after I talk to some key people first, but I think its more kite than you need for most conditions.

Good Winds,
Mark