Surf board mod question

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Re: Surf board mod question

Post by liv2kitesurf » Tue May 30, 2006 11:37 pm

kaptekarev wrote:Instead of spending $700 on a kite surf, Iím thinking about mounting some straps on a 6' M10 I have. Has anyone done this? Iím thinking about inserting a plugs I can screw into and then glassing over the area. What material plugs should I use? Does anyone know a vendor? I'm concerned about weakening the stringer, is that an issue? Also where is a good place to get foot straps and mats?
I am a kiter who is yet-to-jibe. I undertand (and tend to share) your desire to use a larger (& less-expensive) board transitionally for learning jibing (while at the same time also undertanding points made by 1) Zgur and 2) Gabe to 1) start with a proper more ideal 'target' directional board and 2) to try one of the nice surf-specific kiteboards made by our friend Jeff Kafka (contact thru www.wowkite.com)). I also share their concern about durability of polystyrene-built boards ... but have been able to get a modest amount of use out of mine while I am learning. While I agree in part with Zgur, it seems to me that a floaty 'transitional' board may allow one to train ones muscle memory, albeit still requiring a second adaptation step to a more realistic wave-specific kiteboard. Learn in one step or two, which would be quicker ?, which more fun ?

I converted a shortboard with a broken nose (that was being trashed by a guy who had just broke it at the end of the street) to a kiteboard with straps (and have used it successfully >10-15x and it is till in one piece). It WAS a lot of work but that was mostly the repairs to the broken-off nose, stripped deck and rotted-dinged bottom (and not putting in the inserts).

'Inserts' for pads (come in 1, 2 or 3 posts) were embedded in polstyrene resin with fiberglass bits, Cab-osil or Q-cell (need catalyst even with UV-cure if opaque). Inserts (and resin) can be obtained from Fiberglass Supply or 'locally' (Santa Cruz) Fiberglass Hawaii.

Holes for inserts right up next to the stringer (or on both sides of stringer) were made using a Dremel tool.

Deck pads (diamond cut) can be bought in bulk (any dimensions) from
NSI

I took pictures of my board with inserts, straps and pads ... but I don't know how to upload them.

PM me if I can be of any further help.

live2kitesurf
liv2kitesurf
BayAreaKiteboarding 1st enrolled member ! (besides host)

F-one Bandit 7.5, 9 & 11m
6'0" yellow custom quad surfboard

http://picasaweb.google.com/2kitesurf/B ... dingShotsI

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue May 30, 2006 11:51 pm

Contact Fiber-Glass Hawaii in Santa Cruz.
Ask for some foot strape inserts, I suggest the plain three hole type untell you have your stance tweaked out
Buy four units for each strape, place them BESIDE the stringer, one inch apart and 5 to 5.5 inches apart (unless you've got real Clod feet)
Rout the holes (slots) the depth of the inserts, HAND BOR the foam away at ends of each insert area- all the way to the bottom,NOT THROUGH, I just scratch it out with an old screw driver
Just sand flush for surf style or add additional glass deck patchs (polyester and S-glass) if you want to throw some airs or be very abusive
Strapes are easy too, contact N.S.I. in Hood River, ask for the new ajustable Adam Kock strape (good for entry in either direction), wide and plush!
Enjoy,
L.M.G.

kaptekarev
Joey
Joey

Post by kaptekarev » Wed May 31, 2006 2:57 pm

LMG,

What do you think about the boards durability? This is an epoxy non hardcoated 6' M10. It's pretty light. How much reinforcement will I need? I'm planning to reinforce the foot pad area, but do you think I need reinforcement on the bottom as well?

Your saying not to cut through the stringer. Should I put both inserts on the same side of the stringer? Won't that make the stance asymmetric?