Right of way?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
mike_s
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mike_s » Sun May 28, 2006 11:55 am

panzer, :) , yea I know....here's hoping for more today.

my understanding was always the starboard rule for kiting....if you were going to lose that much ground, sounds like you both should have just kept your course.....but I'm all for just keeping clear if there's any doubt....even if it does mean that you undo all the upwind work you've been doing.

Kraemer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Kraemer » Sun May 28, 2006 11:57 am

I agree--A HigH FivE -- is a different deal. Its usually upwind/downwind always..

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Sun May 28, 2006 12:06 pm

When in doubt yeild right of way. If I'm on starboard and up wind I'll go high, if I'm on starboard but even with the other rider I'll wait to see if he gives me right of way, if not I'll go low and down wind. You don't have to go far down if you keep your kite low. Give 20ft or so.
Dewey

Wildting
Contributor
Contributor

Right of way...

Post by Wildting » Sun May 28, 2006 12:07 pm

Kraemer wrote:...any way he got a small bit miffed and told my buddy to have me read the rules of the road. The international code is the upwind/downwind rule. Starboard tack is for sailboats I thought?????

Any body else can weigh in.....
You might not want to hear this, but chances are, if he was upset enough to complain about it, he probably felt you pinched him off.

Starboard tack has right of way. Unless you were far enough upwind to clear him without causing him to change course, then he would have nothing to complain about.

The best policy however is to kite defensively when you can. Give yourself and others lots of room. If you have the right of way, hold your course so your intentions are well understood.

In addition, if you are on the same tack, don't "shadow" someone. You never know when they would want to turn.

Problems arise when attitudes get agro. Tangled kites are a serious thing. It's not worth the trouble.

JasonM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JasonM » Sun May 28, 2006 12:12 pm

careful on the high fives. they can hurt for hours if your both powered. i'm in santa cruz waiting for it to pick up. scott's creek was epic yesterday.

AntiJF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by AntiJF » Sun May 28, 2006 12:25 pm

in racing boats, starboard has rights during a crossing. This means that if you are on a COLLISION course, port tack must yield. Otherwise, OK. Also, for racing, if the crossing boats are both on starboard (One is going upwind, and one is going downwind) the upwind boat (or board) has rights. One of the rules that changes and can make racing interesting is whether the boat with rights can alter course to screw the other guy. That comes in and out of fashion.
WHEN NOT RACING, you need to use judgement, b/c the other guy may not be working off of the same rules as you, or any rules at all.
If you are on port and CLEARLY UPWIND of the other kiter, hold your course. If it looks like you may be close, make clear movement from far away that you intend to go downwind and do so. If the starboard kiter, or even port kiter is going at one angle during the crossing, and it looks like things are pretty sorted out and then they suddenly change upwind angles and force you to do something dramatic, it's not ok.
However, if it looks like the other sailor doesn't know what they're doing, use common sense first. No point in being right if you break something.
RRD Socal Rep

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Sun May 28, 2006 12:31 pm

I thought technically the kite going out had right of way-which makes no sense to me. I think every situation is different. I think if you are overpowered and need to come in it would be inconsiderate for someone to launch if they knew you were trying to land. Also, I have noticed that a lot of people, would love to name names, dont turn around when you are body dragging to your board. I dont mind if someone comes close to me but for god sakes dont intentially divert your path directly to where the person without the board is trying to drag! Also, it is hard to control a kite for some people when putting their board back on after dragging to it so why would you want to be anywhere near them?

Another note I have to mention on right of way. I dont see it any different than driving, if you tail gate someone and they hit the brakes then it's the person behinds fault . Unless you were born with eyes on the back of your skull most of us dont see behind us. I will often look behind me quickly before jumping or doing something but if your arentable to change directions quickly then dont TAILGATE!

Happy memorial day.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Sun May 28, 2006 9:17 pm

Noone ever tailgates me. I think they're all looking at your ass. :mrgreen:
Paul

wavie_gravie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wavie_gravie » Mon May 29, 2006 3:38 pm

Right of way when kiting has other variables as well. They are common sense and common courtesy variables.

If you have right of way and then drop your kite low, I am going high with my kite and upwind of you.

The main thing to do is signal the other rider by diving the kite or raising it. This is because in some cases the right of way kiter may feel they are not going up wind enough to pass and need to go under. or are heading downwind or having issues.
sometimes a huge gust will keep a kiter from being ABLE to bring the kite down, so again be cognizant of surroundings, and don't yell...they can't hear you (Ch)

It's basic communication, this goes the same for landing...common sense says if I guy just launched, give way before landing...they are on land and need to hit water asap, you can make a tack.

lastly....when some one is launching DON'T scream at the launcher and kiter. get up close and talk if they are doing something wrong. common courtesy and most of all help out. 5 years ago we all helped each other out . Friday was a bunch of people yelling at each other.