Help needed for kite selection

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
fatih
Joey
Joey
Help needed for kite selection

Post by fatih » Wed May 24, 2006 4:03 pm

Hello all;

I am a newbee and out on the market for a kite. I have taken couple of lessons and found out the water re-launching was killer for me--I just couldn't make it at all. So I am looking for something easy to re-launch. My first question is, after reading some, whether to get a 5-line kite or the Cabrinha "instant re-launch" system?

Then, I would appreicate if someone give me some idea/comparison for the following kites:
Viper Boa
North Rhino
Cabrinha Nitro/Element

Thanks in advance for any suggestions..

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Wed May 24, 2006 5:04 pm

If you're a beginner, you should do yourself a favor and check out Bow style kites. Naish Shockwave, Best Waroo, Caution Answer etc.

Relaunching definately is tough, but you can get a lot better with practice.

If you want to go with north, try the vegas, it's better suited to what you want, and will be easier to relaunch.

If you decide to go with the cabrinha relaunch system, make sure you know how it works, and the dangers involved.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Wed May 24, 2006 7:57 pm

Ditto everything Kitebored said.
Paul

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Wed May 24, 2006 8:49 pm

kiteborder said it right. One question where did you get that list from. I don't think there is a single Viper kite in the Bayarea, a rhino is hard aspect kite(not beginner friendly). I did fly the Cabrina Nitro once last year, and really liked it.
It looks like your shopping by price point (I feel ya there). Look at the Best waroo. I tried the kite and fell in love with it. I'm thinking of picking up a 9m myself. Easy to fly, awsome depower, and EASY RELAUNCH.

Maybe the school that you had lessons has special deal for students.
Dewey

VanSimms
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by VanSimms » Wed May 24, 2006 9:03 pm

go for bow if you're a beginner, more windrange per $ and also, REALLY safe.
-Evan
If in doubt, do it.

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Thu May 25, 2006 8:03 am

OK what about the GK Sonic?

I have an 11 m but have yet to take it on the water, tomorrow will be it's maden voiage.

On paper this is one of the best "Bow" style kites out there as far as safety and relaunchability. I am looking forward to 100% depower (they say)

If you have experience with this kite, let's hear from you. I was down in La Ventana this winter and found lots of people on these kites and every one of them loved them.

Rich (I will be the guy dragging down the river on Friday)
Rich "ATOM" Baum

dewey
Old School
Old School

Post by dewey » Thu May 25, 2006 9:02 am

Proparoo wrote:OK what about the GK Sonic?

I have an 11 m but have yet to take it on the water, tomorrow will be it's maden voiage.

On paper this is one of the best "Bow" style kites out there as far as safety and relaunchability. I am looking forward to 100% depower (they say)

If you have experience with this kite, let's hear from you. I was down in La Ventana this winter and found lots of people on these kites and every one of them loved them.

Rich (I will be the guy dragging down the river on Friday)
Just push the bar out and you won't be dragging. I've heard good things about the sonic. The reason I didn't talk about it is because all the kites on the list can be bought at a really good price right now. If price is not a issue then I have heard good things about the Vegas. I love the RRD's but they may be dangerous in the hands of a beginner.
Dewey

KirkTalon
Regular
Regular

Post by KirkTalon » Thu May 25, 2006 1:16 pm

Waroo....baby...great price, great kite and you can get it in pink...talk to Evan at live2kite, he won't steer you wrong.

Kirk

fatih
Joey
Joey

Post by fatih » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:51 pm

Hello All;
Thank you very much for your advises. I ended up getting a Sonic 14 and tried in San Diego, with minimal success--I blame the wind wind, and in Belmont Shores--this time it was excellent. I love the kite: very easy to relaunch, with very littel effort it comes back up; easy to depower. The only thing I (-) can say it was little jerky at the relauch, which I believe I was doing something wrong.
Any how, I want to extend my appreciateion to those made suggestions.
FB

go4kitesurfing
Contributor
Contributor

Post by go4kitesurfing » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:53 am

Kitebored wrote: "If you decide to go with the cabrinha relaunch system, make sure you know how it works, and the dangers involved."

Yes, the recon system is different and you need to lean how to use it but what recon specific dangers are you refering too?

Either way, if you can afford it I thin a (stable, not easily inverted) bow is the way to go for a beginner ...