Waist harness advice

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!

Which harness brand would you recommend?

DaKine Pyro
64%
Naish Pro
No votes
Cabrinha
36%

Total votes: 11

MG
Contributor
Contributor
Waist harness advice

Post by MG » Wed May 24, 2006 12:49 pm

I'm in the market for a new waist harness and would love to hear what you guys recommend. I was pretty happy with my North air styler, but after the air pocket burst, the harness would ride up and be quite uncomfortable. I imagine most/all harnesses have tendency to ride up and crush the ribs, but would like to hear if there's one that does not or that is much better than others.
thanks

MG

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Wed May 24, 2006 1:16 pm

North styler is super comfy

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Re: Waist harness advice

Post by Yoda » Wed May 24, 2006 2:29 pm

MG wrote:I'm in the market for a new waist harness and would love to hear what you guys recommend. I was pretty happy with my North air styler, but after the air pocket burst, the harness would ride up and be quite uncomfortable. I imagine most/all harnesses have tendency to ride up and crush the ribs, but would like to hear if there's one that does not or that is much better than others.
thanks

MG
I found the Ocean Rodeo Session harness http://www.oceanrodeo.com/harness.html as the best harness going if you have issues with waist harnesses riding up. It has adjustable "climbing harness" styled leg loops that that prevent the harness from riding up. It also has covered straps/buckles to prevent your kite lines from snaging. A really cool feature is the quick-releaseable leash attachment on the back. With over 2 years in developement, this is by far the most thought out harness I've seen!

I also own a Tabu harness from DaKine and can honestly say the OR harness is a more comfortable fit. I had the same problem with riding up and looked high and low for something better. I've seen a harness from Mystic and North that are also hybrids (waist and seat harness in one), but the OR looked like more of a traditional set-up and seemed to allow the most freedom of movement. Check Ocean Rodeo's forum for some good non-biased feedback on this harness. http://www.oceanrodeo.com/forum.html

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed May 24, 2006 2:39 pm

I wanna know why Slingshot doesnt make a harness.

kitebored
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by kitebored » Wed May 24, 2006 3:41 pm

my personal favorite is the dakine tabu. It gets expensive though, because you have to buy the spreader bar pad if you don't want to crush your ribs.

Liquid Force makes a really good waist harness as well. Last years was super comfy, but a bit too bulky for my taste. Supposedly this year's is less bulky and ligher...

VanSimms
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by VanSimms » Wed May 24, 2006 8:47 pm

The only way to choose a harness is to try it on, but I agree with kitebored, the tabu is awsome, its great for waves or carving toeside also the cabrinha is nice because of the plate in the back,
Their is lots of nice harnesses out there, you just have to find the one that fits you particular back shape.
-Evan
If in doubt, do it.

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Wed May 24, 2006 9:00 pm

I was having problems with the Dakine Pyro loosening up while riding, and heard a couple other people having the same problem. I finally got a bar pad, and now it is much better behaved, and my ribs are a little happier. If you go for a pyro, be prepared to get the pad too.

(This is for an 05, and may only be a problem with the combination of harness size, waist size, and bar size).

panzerfaust
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by panzerfaust » Wed May 24, 2006 11:19 pm

It is so hard to tell what's good until you've ridden and body dragged in it. I keep going back and forth between my seat harness and the waist harness and owned a total of 4 different waist ones in the past year.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Thu May 25, 2006 9:23 am

I think the reason I like the cabrinha is because I am thin so it holds down on me better. For someone with a more defined build, it wouldnt matter as much.

jonosf
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jonosf » Thu May 25, 2006 10:12 am

Mystic harnesses are now available in the USA: http://www.mystickiteboardingusa.com. These are the best harnesses out there. When looking for a waist harness, you want 4 key things; 1-back support, 2-comfort, 3-flexibility, and, 4-a harness which will not ride up. The Mystic harness addresses all theses issues and has an extra belt tie at the bottom of the harness which stops the spreader bar and harness riding up. Check them out, Live2Kite is offering them.