Contra Bow: Ultimate Low Wind Kite

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Jeff Ruoss
Contributor
Contributor
Contra Bow: Ultimate Low Wind Kite

Post by Jeff Ruoss » Sun May 21, 2006 1:54 pm

[glow=red]The New Cabrinha Contra Bow[/glow]

Several KWS shop riders have gotten a chance in the past few days to try the new Contra Bow Kite. KWS has the 14-meter Contras in stock (12s & 17s will be available in June).

Just like Cabrinha advertises, this really is a light wind kite. Yesterday evening at Alameda from 6 to 7 (see graph) several riders demoíed the kite with boards from 130-137 cm and were riding upwind & with considerable board speed, and even throwing low altitude tricks (backrolls, S-bends, etc).

Apparently itís in these 7-11 knot winds that this kite really performs better than others. The Contra stands out when thereís a breeze, but no white caps... and on your regular (small-ish) freestyle or freeride board, too! Sub-11 knots, when other kites need to be ìpumpedî to get some speed, and are still going downwind, the Contra just pulls, and provides the real-wind power that you want for upwind ability and jumping! Call KWS to arrange a demo.

ps/
And another beneÖ You can actually be riding & jumping, while itís still a nice afternoon for your family to hang out on the beach & not get blasted!

Tako
Joey
Joey

Post by Tako » Tue May 23, 2006 11:49 am

Have you tested the Contra in stronger winds? What's a realistic upper range that the Contra 14 can handle for a 170lbs rider?
Thanks.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Tue May 23, 2006 4:35 pm

I had a chance to demo a proto 17m and yes that baby PULLS!! I also saw it successfully kite-looped in about 10 to 12mph..... The 17m is pretty much a big guy (over 200 lbs) kite but gave me (190lbs tops) that tractor pull proformance in about 8-10mph winds using my normal board.
Its a fun, LARGE kite,
L.M.G.

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Sun May 28, 2006 11:14 am

Regarding the Contras in "high winds"...I can only comment on what I saw at Pismo during the KiteXpo. A guy about 170-75lbs took out the 14 and a "standard" board and it was blowing about 11mph. At the same time, a guy 240lbs took out the 17 on a board that looked similar to a glide but a little smaller. At the time, they were the only kiters going/staying upwind and having a good time. Then the wind picked up to about 14, then 17 and then to 25+...(a guess on my part, need to check the wind archives). Both of the guys
stayed out for about a 1/2 hr of the big winds before they came in indicating they were overpowered. At this same time everyone on the water was coming in to change to smaller kites...about 9s.
steve