Need help/advice

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
sdf77
Joey
Joey

Post by sdf77 » Sat May 13, 2006 7:17 am

Wow!! Thanks for all the adv!!! Sooooooo, anyone have a trainer kite they don't want anymore for sale??? ;)

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Sat May 13, 2006 9:24 am

AntiJF wrote:I agree with Sonny. Also, as long as the trainer kite doesn't break, the cheaper the better.
Trainer kite time is the #1 indicator of how well the lessons will go. Be careful of the cheapest trainers you can get though as they are wicked fast and dont pull very much....

A 2-3m trainer will give you a taste of power and later doubles as a kite for kite skateboarding or snowkiting.... KWS offers 2.2m kites with brake lines to our students for $99 ($129 if you dont sign up for a lesson) and a larger 3.6m kite for $219... If you sign up for a lesson, we also have loaner trainer kites if you don't want to buy one...

Another benefit of the lessons at KWS is that our lessons are jet ski based and allow us to go to wherever the wind is that day..... from Treasure Island down to the San Mateo Bridge... It is rare that we dont find wind.. Lessons are on C kites or Bow (Flat) Kites (your choice) and when you are done with your lesson you get $200 off a kite and board package...

KeenanD
Joey
Joey

Post by KeenanD » Sat May 13, 2006 1:08 pm

As a beginner last fall - I would reccommend the larger training kite. The small ones do not give you as much feel as what a water kite is going to feel like. I think there are other post somewhere that advise the same thing.

Good luck.

wjb
Resident
Resident

Post by wjb » Mon May 22, 2006 9:36 pm

Would a trainer Kite have four lines or only two? Thanks, Wade
It is obvious that we can no more explain a passion to a person who has never experienced it than we can explain light to the blind. T.S.Eliot

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Post by andyandmarlys » Mon May 22, 2006 10:24 pm

A trainer kite without brake lines would have 2, and a traier kite with brake lines would have 4.... Brake lines allow you to land, depower, and reverse launch your kite

Yoda
Resident
Resident

Post by Yoda » Mon May 22, 2006 10:42 pm

Ozone's #1 selling trainer is the size large (2m) Imp

http://www.flyozone.com/ozkites/kframe.htm

The Imp is touted as one of the best built and best flying trainers. The size large and medium are for adults and the small is for kids. I have used the large Imp for kite skateboarding and have had some awesome sessions.

You mentioned about 2 or 4 lines... I personally like a 4 line 2m kite for training. I currently use a 2m Samurai II with a bar for my trainer. It will cost you more $$$, but the 4 lines allows you to relaunch a crashed kite without the aid of someone helping out. You can reverse relaunch most 4 line kites and brake (stop) them as well. Two line kites can be a pain to relaunch solo and tend to get twisted up. The other benifit of flying a 4 line is you get a better feel on how to handle a 4 line "full-sized" power kite.