KWS

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
max
Contributor
Contributor
KWS

Post by max » Wed May 03, 2006 8:43 am

Just had my land lesson yeterday with Andy and Wes, which was excellent; they explained things clearly and gave us all a chance to try out the safety mechanism, went over relaunch, flew the 5m kite etc. Having only used a trainer kite before, I was a little benighted by the whole sheeting in/out thing, and was surprised by how much pull even a 5m kite gives! next stop: water lesson this sat !

now I just need to figure out how i'm gonna drum up enough cash for all the gear... I'm thinking that since there probably arent too many deals on the bow kites themselves that I might try to buy a used board and.or harness; is this a bad idea?

the other bad news (financially) is that my wife now wants lessons too!

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed May 03, 2006 9:44 am

Max,
Consider yourself lucky, my girl wont go near the beach when its really blowing. Also with one quiver your both covered!
Have FUN!!!
L.M.G.

liv2kitesurf
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: KWS

Post by liv2kitesurf » Thu May 04, 2006 5:53 pm

max wrote:the other bad news (financially) is that my wife now wants lessons too!
I agree with Greg. This is a blessing in most ways. This will allow you to spend more time kiting more than likely.

Also, since you wife is likely a different size from you, a single quiver may suffice (since you would be on different kite sizes)
liv2kitesurf
BayAreaKiteboarding 1st enrolled member ! (besides host)

F-one Bandit 7.5, 9 & 11m
6'0" yellow custom quad surfboard

http://picasaweb.google.com/2kitesurf/B ... dingShotsI

Jeff Ruoss
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jeff Ruoss » Mon May 08, 2006 8:39 am

Lets get her going on that trainer kite.

Pablito
Resident
Resident

Post by Pablito » Mon May 08, 2006 2:34 pm

If you're short on funds, buying a late model used kite on Ikitesurf or from someone at the beach is a much more affordable way to go. The new bow kites with full depower ARE safer than the 4 liners, but you probably won't kill yourself on a 2004 or 2005 kite.

You probably will kill one of your first kites, though. It sucks to destroy a brand new kite that you don't even know how to fly yet.
Paul

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon May 08, 2006 10:10 pm

Most kites are 5th lineable. A 5th will really help relaunch/depower any kite. However the newest kites seem worth the money especially when you only NEED a quiver 3 instead of 5...
Limmpi'

Live2KITE
Regular
Regular

Post by Live2KITE » Mon May 15, 2006 8:51 pm

One thing I learned - buy yourself whatever you can afford, but buy your girfriend / wife the SAFEST and MOST KITER FRIENDLY gear out there.
One little mistep and she will hate the sport (and eventually you) for good.

At the end of the day you will ride her gear anyway since chances are she will need a size smaller anyway....

My 2 cents after 7 years of marital bliss ;-)
(we learned to kiteboard on our honeymoon - what a mistake!!!!) :-)

Evan

knyfe
Resident
Resident

Post by knyfe » Mon May 15, 2006 10:44 pm

Live2KITE wrote:Evan
:) :) :)