Know your safety...

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Tue May 02, 2006 4:30 pm

Yikes, You are making me not want to go to the ocean now! That is scary. No kite out there is not a good thing. I agree that everyone should know their safety and test it from time to time to make sure it works and that you still remember how to safely recover yourself and the kite.

pipedragon
Regular
Regular

Post by pipedragon » Tue May 02, 2006 4:33 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention. If you kite alone tell a loved one what beach you are kiting at. So that way when you don't come home they know where to send the coast guard.

Windseeker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Windseeker » Wed May 03, 2006 8:46 am

I bought a little waterproof hardcase for my cell phone that I use when kiting alone..... That way if I get downed out from shore for whatever reason I can still call for help! Marine radio would be a better bet.....

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed May 03, 2006 9:59 am

Windseeker,
If you want that cell to work at Waddell you'll need to drag out about 3 miles then hold it 3 feet over your head at the top of the largest swell you can find.....Just kidd'n but be aware service is VERY spotty at Waddell, sometimes it works....
Glade you came out O.K..
Great story, I'm sure the locals got a real gas out of it! I can see many people thinking, hum..., The Delta is blowing too....
Enjoy,
L.M.G.

windhorny
Old School
Old School

Post by windhorny » Wed May 03, 2006 10:08 am

I dont know man. With that picture of that jurassic sturgeon that guy posted a while back from the delta, I might rather be at Waddell. And dont forget the highly aggressive amazonian catfish.

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed May 03, 2006 1:18 pm

I perfer kiting in a wading pool...
Limmm

zgur
Resident
Resident

Big fish

Post by zgur » Fri May 05, 2006 9:31 am

Great story, thank you for sharing and glad that you had a positive outcome.

Not to be over dramatic, but keep in mind that:
1. Our coast is in the RED TRIANGLE. There are VERY big/hungry fish around and you don't want to be trolling. I know I don't. While you think "I am swimming" the big fish think, "huh, who is trolling, I'm kind of hungry"
2. The water is cold. You don't want to swim very long.
3. No cell phone coverage as LIMM mentioned
4. Coast guard is a long way away

When entering wild nature, you should always know your gear, skills and have a "what to do when shit goes wrong" game plan. If you are not ready, yup, the delta is blowing.

Get some, Z.

grumpy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by grumpy » Sat May 06, 2006 10:03 am

Yes kites are expensive, but sometimes you need to kiss it goodbye and save your own life. Plus it's only a crossbow!