Cabrinha Race Series

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Sander
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Sander » Wed May 17, 2006 7:28 am

Agree that the start is most critical.
When I raced on sailboats we would practice and time our approach to the starting line so we would be able to hit it going full throttle at the gun/whistle.

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Wed May 17, 2006 8:26 am

On STARBOARD!
Go bigga'

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Wed May 17, 2006 9:50 am

When I've run across a "fellow" competitors board lost board I've attempted to toss it back to him.
I've been asked a few times, "Why would you do that?". Questions like that dumb-found me....
Limme- OUT

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Wed May 31, 2006 9:52 pm

The race summary from May 25th will come up a bit short due to a personal
equipment failure.

It looked as if a few racers decided to abstain from the heavier winds. The
winds were gusting over 30 mph and from a more southerly direction causing
the winds to be a bit more shifty and gusty. The skippers meeting was held
with only a few racers attending at 5 p.m. The race course was to be raced
similar to the first race of the season. This put the racers closer to the
yacht club for the start. Being closer to the yacht club makes dealing with
the current more challenging for the racers.

Most were out racing on 12's with a handful of sailors on 10's. The start
of the first race went off clean with the majority of the fleet at full
speed. I decided to race towards the middle of the bay to a more favorable
current. This decision put me first around the windward mark and easily
clearing the small offset mark that we need to honor as well. My downwind
run was hectic as I am still trying to figure out how to ride a board with
no rocker down wind. For now, I keep my speed down, lower then I normally
would and try not to fall. Another white water rounding and out to the
middle again to head for the finish.

I finished first and got to watch Anthony Chavez and Andy Holmes racing to
the finish. At the approach to the finish, Anthony tacked back over to port
and shot over the finish line just ahead of Andy who finished on starboard,
closer to the yacht club about 10 seconds behind Anthony.

Shortly after the start of the second race I broke my starboard front line.
A quick self rescue and on the race committee boat, so my race evening was over.

The wind got lighter by the third race making it quite a bit more difficult
for anyone on 10's, but obviously not affecting the current champion and series leader...Anthony Chavez,
as he finished first in the next two race and 1st overall for the evening. Andy Holmes was 2nd, and Frank Wittke,
in his first race night of the series was 3rd . For more details on
the race results go to www.stfyc.com and click on regatta info, and then the Cabrinha Race Series "button."

Stay tuned, next race on June 8th.

Jeff Ruoss - Red Cabrinha Crossbow - Blue #9
Managing Partner, Kite Wind Surf LLC

~emily.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Racing tonight!

Post by ~emily. » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:55 am

Tonight is Race 5 of the TNKR series.
According to the charts max current is at 3:00 at 1.9 knots and should be slack by first gun. Wind forcast looks good for this evening. Should be interesting racing indeed!

Go to the St. Francis Yacht Club after 3pm to register. Skipper's mtg at the beach.

cheers! & Good Racing!!
~e.

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:28 pm

Cabrinha Race Series
Summary from June 8th

The wind decided it wanted to come more from the south on this clear Thursday night. This makes it very difficult to get off the beach, however, the wind was very steady out in the middle. As I was rigging, I took notice that it was already flooding at Anita Rock. Due to the flood, the race committee decided to move the course out towards the middle where the current was more favorable and the wind as well. Tonight we had a guest appearance from Sean Farley who rides for Team North and is the past Mexican Freestyle Champion.
Race #1 was postponed for about 10 minutes when a problem arose on one of the race committee boats. This caused a bit of confusion as many of the racers have never seen a postponement flag, a description below.

A triangular race pennant which has three red verticle stripes separated by two verticle white stripes; red.white,red,white,red (tried to post a pic but failed)

The pin end or the end closest to the Yacht Club was heavily favored. The entire fleet started on port as there way no way to cross the start on starboard. The way the course was set up there was very little tactics required. Sometimes sailors refer to this as a drag race. We all sailed as hard up wind on port as we could, and then tacked over to starboard for a short run around the windward mark. I rounded the windward mark in 3rd place and was shocked to find Geoff Heddington about 60 seconds ahead of me as we were only four minutes into the race. I opted to sail downwind on the yacht club side of the start finish line as the start finish is restricted on the downwind run. This was a longer course to the leeward mark but I was looking for flat water to sail in as the Glide board I use is very difficult to sail down wind. The finish was fairly uneventful with Geoff Heddington finishing in first and Nils Stlozener finishing in 2nd. I held my position in third and then assisted Jeff Kafka in finishing properly upwind through the line. I myself needed to go around the race committee boat once and then finish going upwind through the line.Jeff was making his 1st appearance of the racing season and is now riding for Cabrinha

Race #2 was much closer. The start was identical with many racers were very tight at the windward mark. There were 5 to 6 of us charging into the windward mark with very tight racing and some sailors only 5 feet apart. I hailed for room at the mark so that the windward sailors would not block me from rounding. This is legal inside of two boat lengths or for us kiters 2 line lengths or 50 meters. (my opinion of how a sail boat rule should apply to kites) This time on the downwind run I opted to go to the race committee end of the start/finish line. The chop was much better and I was just trying to catch Geoff Heddington again who rounded the windward mark in first again. It is so challenging to ride the Glide downwind and I am slowly catching Geoff but have a cruising sailboat in my way causing me to jibe in to much chop and fall. I lost about 30 seconds retrieving my board and off to the leeward mark again. My fall allowed Nils to catch up and just pass me. Nils and I were approaching the leeward mark with myself just inside of him and to windward. Nils jibed over to port to round the mark and our kites collided pretty hard. I crash jibed over to port and rounded the mark slowly at a deep run down wind. I also allowed Nils to go ahead and pass in that I would rather try to pass him upwind to the finish then have any more kite collisions. As we approached the finish Geoff got first again and Andy Holmes who sailed very well in this race finished 2nd. I had successfully passed Nils upwind and was trying to finish on port when we had another altercation. Nils was approaching me on starboard thus giving him the right of way. I indicated to him that I was going to duck downwind and he should hold his course. He lowered his kite and came downwind slightly causing me to dump mine in the water and then sailed past me on starboard. I re-launched my kite and still finished just ahead of him in 3rd. In my opinion I was fouled twice in this race. The first time at the leeward mark as when you are jibing you have no right of way. At the finish I should have been allowed to stay clear downwind and the starboard sailor is required to maintain their proper course.

Good close racing. And if you are wondering what happened to Anthony, it was his night for race committee.

Equipment notes. The Glide boards finished in top 4 places tonight albeit Nils made his own.. it is a similar shape. Kafka was 5th on one of his new custom quad Kite/Surf boards. Most racers were on 12's, with bow or bow similar kites dominating.
General comment: I write these summaries from my perspective as a participating racer. My comments about strategy and rules are made only to help/assist others who may not be as familiar.

Jeff
Red Cabrinha CB, Blue #9
Managing Partner Kite Wind Surf

andyandmarlys
Regular
Regular

Course Change.... How to tell?

Post by andyandmarlys » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:53 pm

At the skipper's meeting, and on the course map, all verbal and graphical indications were that the line between the "A" bouy and the committee boat was restricted on the downwind leg. Because of this data, I took great care coming downwind to clear the A - Committee line... as well as Sean Farley, only to find that many of those finishing ahead of both of us in the race cut across the A-commitee boat line, thus shortening the course for them....

I am not here to call anyone on this, if there was a course change, how am I supposed to know about it ? ....and if there wasn't a course change and racers were blowing through the restricted area, why were they not DQ'd? I know I was on the first race of the season for this reason...

Respectfully,

Andy

Green #10

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:27 pm

Andy:
I would agree...there seemed to be some confusion. This is coming from an observer, not a participant.
Although I do not have a copy of the race map that was handed out, the verbal instructions at the skippers meeting were that the start/finish line were restricted on the downwind leg to the leaward mark. This would be the new inflatable they dropped outside of A and between the boat, not from A to the boat.

steve

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:50 am

It appears that Jeff Ruoss has retired, without notice, from providing the race write upsÖI apologize. So, in the interim (hopefully he will return), I am providing the race result thru July.

The Cabrinha Race Series continued to experience fierce competition and grueling conditions during June and July. Anthony Chavez (Naish), the 2005 overall winner has dominated the series since the first night of racing capturing a first in 5 of the 6 nights heís raced. Nils Stolzlechner (Naish) and Geoff Headington (SS) are in a close battle for 2nd with another group of 4 riders close behind, including Jeff Ruoss (Cabrinha), managing partner of Kite Wind Surf, the sponsor of the race series. Andy Holmes who is an instructor for Jeff at Kite Wind Surf is also in this pack of four. Andy, however, is moving to Washington this week and will be missed for remainder of the seasonÖlucky for the other competitors. Good luck Andy! June and July also saw some ìguest TEAM riderî compete, such as Adam Koch, Sky Solbach, Jaime Herraiz, and Sean Farley. All had respectable showings, but only Adam has been able to topple the local Anthony.
Jeff Kafka (Cabrinha) of Wind Over Water KiteBoarding school also joined in on the competition the last three race night with competitive resultsÖ5th, 6th,and 7th.

June also saw Cabrinha sponsor the kite course racing at King of the Bay with top competitors from the Cabrinha Race Series (St Francis Yacht Club) dominating. Jeff Ruoss (Cabrinha) was 1st, followed by Geoff Headington (SS) and Jeff Kafka (Cabrinha).
And in case you were wondering about Anthony, well, he didnít compete.

steve
Regular
Regular

Post by steve » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:54 am

Jeff (Emily) are BACK from temporary retirement. See Jeff's write up of the July 25th Cabrinha Race Series...see the Cabrinha Race Series sponsored by KiteWindSurf thread in the "Sticky's" above
steve