DOWNWINDER! April 29th

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:36 pm

kitechick,
Nice photos! Glade we got that on film....I havent been out for a group float for some time...
To bad you didnt get Sky climbing the pier. He told me he didnt think the water was quit as nice (warm) as Western Auz.
AAh, but to me it was just another beautiful day on the bay! If I'd only had a nice cocktail, perhaps a little brandy... So nice Yachting with you all,
Limmm

AntiJF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by AntiJF » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:39 pm

Kitechick, those were great! Thx for the memories, that was one for the record books

amir
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by amir » Mon May 01, 2006 4:16 pm

Being my first downwinder I was quite excited. I felt quite confident in my ability even though I had been out only a couple times this season and had only been to Crissy once. I knew it would be a long haul so I did the smart thing and checked my lines and gear before I left. I was ready.

When we all arrived at Crissy, I was wondering what everyone else was, "Is this going to happen?!?" After staring out at the bay for an hour, the wind started to pick up (at least in the middle of the channel). We all got geared up. After I saw several kiters successfully leave shore and nice whitecaps develop, I was off. I headed to the north tower and back a many times until most of the pack was heading downwind. After riding upwind for so long, I realized that heading downwind 7 miles would not be as easy as I thought especially after I lost my board tried to drag upwind to get it. I kept missing it by a few feet. Arrrgh! Never fun with tankers, cruise line, tugs and tourist looking at you! Luckily a fellow kiter help me retrieve it (a big thanks!)

Finally I was cruising. I really enjoyed the views: Alcatraz, Angel island, the city, the bridge and of course all those kites on the water. Around Angel Island, the kiter who got my board was down with his board way behind him. I grabbed it and waited for the ski to come assist. He told me to start hauling to Berkeley before the wind died so I did. Then all of a sudden. BAM! My kite was in the water and I didn't really know what happened. When I saw that the canopy was all torn up. I knew my trip was over. I wrapped my lines and attempted to self rescue, but really hoped someone would see me, since I was pretty much in the between TI, Angel and Alcatraz. Not to mention being blown towards the shipping lane. A kiter spotted me and went to signal the ski. (another big thanks!) I was happy to be on the boat but very disappointed not to make it all the way. We sailed over to the pier and the wind had dropped. The self/ski/boat rescue was on. Fortunately, everyone made it to shore before the sun set. I would say it was a successful adventure for sure!

Like most of us, I was ready for beer, food and a hot shower. Thanks to all the friends at KiteWindSurf. The trip rocked and I cannot wait to go again.

The next day, I decided to tackle my spaghetti bar and I saw why I went down. The stitching that connected my leading lines to my bar snapped. So my 4-line turned into a wonky-ass three line. The leash line cut right though the canopy when the kite flipped over. Doh!

Time for a new kite and more adventures. Hope to see you all again soon!

fearlu
Resident
Resident

Post by fearlu » Mon May 01, 2006 6:28 pm

I didn't know there was all-you-can-eat spaghetti!

:-({|=
Go bigga'

charlie
Old School
Old School

Post by charlie » Mon May 01, 2006 6:38 pm

ummm yummie...
spaghetti! and the Out.Bound. lane..or In Bound.Lane.....
..himmmm.....?
charlie

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Mon May 01, 2006 11:00 pm

Yes!, spagette with meat balls!!!
Great story, glade you had fun!!!
L.M.G.

Tako
Joey
Joey

Post by Tako » Tue May 02, 2006 12:29 am

This was my first downwinder too and I had a blast! Big thanks to KWS and support crew for organizing and rescuing. Hopefully we can make it across the next time. I've uploaded some photos here:

http://yocheerio.com/DW06

Thanks for a great time!!
-tako

robertovillate
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robertovillate » Tue May 02, 2006 4:38 pm

I love down wind rides, but it wasn't in the cards for me on Saturday...I had to be at a birthday bash at 7PM...I was hoping to ride but the wind was just a little too fickle...and I like riding more than swimming and relaunching out of that cooooold water :shock: .

Glad some of you guys got out and had fun, looked like decent wind way out in the middle, pretty sketchy otherwise.

I took a few pictures, not exactly action packed...but a few nice images of the day...visit:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictu ... 2106766014

back in FL now....rode a nice 20 kt seabreeze yesterday for 3 hrs

heading to TX tomorrow for 2 months of teaching....come on down! South Padre Island ROCKS!!!!!!! Anybody looking to learn...SPI is THE PLACE. You'll learn more there in 3-4 days than in a whole summer most other places.

cheers
Roberto Villate
PASA Kiteboarding Instructor
cel 847.477.2976 (after 7PM is best - or leave a message)
http://kitemare.com/roberto_villate.htm

jpd20
Joey
Joey

Post by jpd20 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:57 am

Anybody post any pics from last weekend's downwinder? My mom needs new photos for the fridge!

Scotty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Scotty » Fri May 05, 2006 6:54 am

There was someone on the boat shooting photos. Are they going to post those?