Sherman Camper Trailer Coop

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
zgur
Resident
Resident
Chill out every one....

Post by zgur » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:54 am

Folks, has the wind not been blowing for 4 days almost non stop? Why do so many people seem to get wrapped around the axle about small stuff???
C'mon folks, you all can kite - be grateful.

The original question was about parking a moho @ SI for the season. Solid and constructive feedback from multiple views.

Let's not have this forum degenerate in a way that other national/international forums have.

Now get out there and kite (and post a few pictures to share the stoke).

Z Grateful one.

Fester
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fester » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:55 am

That's because there is a leash law for the Sherman Island sacramento county park boat access(official name for the park), poorly enforced.

Nice thing about Alameda Crown beach and the eastbay park district police and rangers is that they strictly enforce the dog ordances.
No dogs on the beach and leashes required.

If the dog is off the leash you are breaking the law.
Last edited by Fester on Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

whitecap
Regular
Regular

Post by whitecap » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:57 am

just to jump in here on the dog thang, which of course, is off topic as Ollie mentions....I have not had much issue with the dog crap.....not as bad as some other places, and the owners are pretty good about it...

My issue is small kids and dogs. My two older boys are big enough that they can give some back, but Scott is 6, and there are other young ones coming up with Chip and Zeev recently having kids. I think most of us have had a run in with a pack of wound up dogs when we were under 5...not a lot of fun. Remember..? It can be pretty scary. I have had some words with dog owners when a 'freindly' lab at 40 lbs knocks my kid over...I have, and will, do what I have to to protect my kids. I hope you guys keep that in mind. I think Ed has been one of the better owners at the beach. If one of the dogs wants to take a bite of a little kid.....well, I hope you have good insurance.....

bob

Fester
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fester » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:05 am

I agree with Zeev, I really plan on maintaining a low profile out at sherman this summer.
Last edited by Fester on Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

KillaHz
Resident
Resident

Post by KillaHz » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:26 am

Fester wrote:That's because there is a leash law for the Sherman Island sacramento county park boat access(official name for the park), poorly enforced.

Nice thing about Alameda Crown beach and the eastbay park district police and rangers is that they strictly enforce the dog ordances.
No dogs on the beach and leashes required.

I hope some dog does not run into your lines on the beach and hurt them selves or you because of a carless dog owner. or jump on/thru your kite.

Just get it straight if the dog is off the leash you are breaking the law.
Jeffrey, I understand you may be afraid of some dogs as you have been bitten. You compare Sherman to Alameda and East Bay Parks. Alameda is always under close scrutiny and risks losing it's access every year. Do you really want to start drawing that kind of attention to SI?

A low profile would be great! If you see something in particular that you don't like...take it up with the owner. Bring them a beer and sit down with them to talk. Try not to be confrontational as that will get you nowhere. You get more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.

BTW - you may want to edit the top post on this page...I think you may regret it later and it was totally out of line.

GB
Gabe Brown
sometimes Gary Bronson...

Fester
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Fester » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:58 am

its edited, now the people who draw attention to sherman are the ones breaking the law and rules established by us.

I hope you do too.

I thought this was a safe, appropriate forum for such conversation with out being personally attacked, and is a low profile forum.
Last edited by Fester on Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parakeet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Parakeet » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:36 am

Friends...let's all chill and look forward to some kiting...The season's barely begun and there's no need for all of this bad vibe.

K.A.

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:43 am

Fester, let's take this off-line....

How did this go from parking a trailer to dog poo poo?

K.A. is right, lets all chill and enjoy what is to come...

I am new to this sport, is this what I have to look forward to on the water?

And also... you know the thing about Bees & Honey,,,

Well it's true....

Rich
Rich "ATOM" Baum

Greg
Old School
Old School

Post by Greg » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:04 pm

I rarely "visit" S.I. but have always loved the experance. (Well except the time I was confronted and threatened to be shot by a one young hunter after I threatened to disarm and conduct a citizens arrest on his murderous hunter friend that was clearly breaking the law as well as being totally morally deficient. This was a really good example of why I dont carry guns any more and why confrontations should be preformed by groups or at least witnessed by "others")

We all need to be aware of our surroundings and the impact we have on others. Be it our dog, or our toys or just the way we address or repond to problems, we need to "consider others first". THAT SAID, dangers abound, I believe we have a PERSONAL responcibity to take care of ourselfs, our property and our sport.
An old saying is: "If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem" . I dont believe this is an all inclusive satement but it rings true! If we EACH picked up JUST ONE piece of trash and left non, or spoke nicely to someone that was not aware of there impact on others BEFORE we slamed there head on the curb, I think we'd have a hard time finding something to REALLY bitch about. FOR EXAMPLE: I feel really bad about getting down on Mark without personally addressing him first, I feel we as a community could have done better by him had WE done something sooner. I know I played the major roll in this episode and hope to never repeat it....

My pop once said to me in a joking mannor as I collected a few rather spectatular colored stones from the beach we were walking, "If everyone took home a rock every time they went to the beach, soon there wouldnt be any more rocks on the beach (for others to enjoy)".
L.M.G.

AntiJF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by AntiJF » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:15 pm

Ditto.

Now i have to go hug somebody.