Why a chicken loop and a fixed harness loop?

Post general kiteboarding discussion topics here!
Proparoo
Regular
Regular
Why a chicken loop and a fixed harness loop?

Post by Proparoo » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:41 am

Being new to this sport I have lots of questions.

One has been,

I have seen riders with a chicken loop and also a fixed harness line on thier bar.

Why?

Also, I just happened to win a fixed harness line at the Lobster Feed last Summer at Rio. Is this something I can use or should I sell it? I have a GK Sonic with a stock bar.

Thanks

Rich

jjm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jjm » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:46 am

I didn't answer this because I've never used one, but

The fixed harness line lets you lock in and not have to hold down your bar to keep the kite powered, and you lose the ability to change your sheeting without making a trim strap adjustment.

I don't think you would want one with the sonic, you lose the benefit of the safety/range of the kite, especially if you're just starting out. If you start doing huge jumps with board offs, maybe you'd be able to benefit from one.

Does the one you have have a quick release?

Some bars have a way of locking the chicken loop, and you still have the benefit of a quick release if the shit hits the fan...

Don't know how much you can sell one for, but if you cut it in half, you can get two donkey dicks that attach at your spreader bar.

Proparoo
Regular
Regular

Post by Proparoo » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:03 am

The Sonic has a quick release at the chicken loop and also on the kite leash, but the kite leash on the Sonic is kind of redundent as it is only attached to the chicken loop and not to a 5th line or one of the front lines. The most it will do is further extend the kite. It apears the Sonic relies completely on the "total depower" abilities of the design. In a self rescue, the kite leash is designed(as I have been told) to, once the kite is "down and out" of the sky, the rider should un-hook the leash from the chicken loop and re-attach it to one of the front lines at the "Ball" (there is a little loop to attach the leash to) and then walk / swim up the line to the kite.

As we were down in LaVentana, 4 of us were descussing this safety issue / design issue, and Nat (Edge Kiteboarding) felt it not the safest design to rely completely on the "total depower" aspect. The other Sonic riders feel it is totaly safe to only hook to the chicken loop and rely completely on the "Total Depower" design....

I would really like others input, opinions on this. I somehow feel confident the riders that come from the old school will not agree with the Sonic aproach but the Sonic riders will.

Rich